Travel safety tips

khunsanuk

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But back to the topic at hand.

I never take my passport. I make a photocopy and place in back pocket. But technology has changed and a smaller laminated copy seems better.

I don't use a wallet back home. Haven't for decades.

In Thailand, I do use a cheap wallet. I always obtain a business card of the hotel I am staying at. So in the rare occaision I get lost, I just show taxi driver hotel businsess card to get back to hotel.

I do use this same wallet to place some smaller Thai notes into. My real money is in my pocket. And more money is back at hotel.

I now have multiple ATM's. I only put the amount of money I plan to spend in LOS in these accounts. One ATM on last trip did not work at most banks. One got stuck inside the ATM machine. I went to the bank and they told me that they cannot access the ATM for at least 2 weeks - and I went to bank with a Thai friend so nothing was lost in translation. I never got that card back. Nor did I lose any money from that account.

Worst case I got American Express card that I can access directly my main bank account. Only did this once on an early trip as I spent money unwisely on gals and booze and such. Oh, and some overpriced Thai trinkets/gifts for back home.

Been lucky though. Never really had any problems or thefts. I stay in lower to mid range hotels somewhere near the action.

Most is really common sense.

I do read in the weekly Pattaya newspapers - seems to be a lot of farang suicides - jumping off balconies. Interesting.

Best to travel with a friend when going out. Or meet up with a good Thai gal no matter where she works.

:wave:

• 3 months later...

I was re-reading the section about pick-pockets.

Hmm. . .

I use my front pockets for credt cards and cash.

I do use a very small wallet - more like a fold business card holder in back pocket. In this 'wallet' I place the business card of hotel I am staying at and about 160 baht. Used only for emergency to get back to hotel.

In my front pocket is my cash - and I only take with me what I will need for the day/night. The rest is hidden or locked up. And more recently, I use ATM for more cash. I have 3 different ATM cards and only have enough money in each bank account for this specific trip.

But . . . now thinking back many years. In Pattaya, I 'lost' my wallet. I just can't remember where or when I lost it that day.

But, after reading about pick-pockets - I guess I could have been a 'victum' of a pick-pocket. My memory tells me that I just lost the wallet. But, thinking back, it could very well have been a pick pocket.

So . . after reading about pick-pockets . . I will be a little more careful about my back pocket 'wallet'.

Archived