"Cab driver" becomes internet expert in BBC mix-up

Mekong

May 15, 2006 ? LONDON (Reuters) - The BBC has apologized after putting a mystery man, possibly a taxi driver, on the air in a live interview, mistaking him for a computer expert who was waiting at the reception desk.

The man's mouth opened in horror as the camera cut to him in the British Broadcasting Corporation's News-24 television studio, where he had been seated on a stool by a floor manager, a microphone clipped to his lapel.

A business presenter, sitting opposite, introduced the clearly startled man as the editor of a technology Web site, and asked if he was surprised by computer company Apple's victory in a trademark dispute over The Beatles' Apple Corps.

"I'm very surprised to see this verdict to come on me because I was not expecting that," he replied, with a strong French accent, in broken English. "When I came they told me something else and I'm coming ? so a big surprise anyway."

He gamely answered two more questions about music downloading, before the presenter thanked him and moved on.

The BBC said it still did not know who he was but newspapers reported he was thought to be a taxi driver who happened to be at reception when a floor manager came to fetch the guest.

The real Web site editor, Guy Kewney, who watched with astonishment at reception, said the mix-up was hard to explain because BBC staff had seen his picture in advance. Kewney is white and the mystery guest was black.

VDO of The Interview

Saw this on the local news a couple of nights ago and it was hilarious, especially at the begining when he was trying to alert the woman interviewer that something was wrong but she carried on anyway so he did too, surprisingly he gave it a good shot at trying to be the Apple spokesperson, very funny.

buddha said:

I saw this too....his face is classic.

The Face is a Classic, I have captured that as a short avi file on my cell phone and bluetooth it to anyone in range.

I was driving to work one morning this week when the wife called me and was nearly is tears of laughter having seen it on ITV breakfast news, all I got was BBC .... some Guy ... wrong Guy ... other Guy called Guy, but being early in the day I thought she was talking about chickens.

There is an internet rumour going around now that he was not a Cabbie, but someone waiting for a Job Interview at the Beeb.

Archived