Dubai nightlife

CarlBkk

Snailster,

As if nothing has happened.

Dubai & UAE are 'in the US pockets' so to speak. Most of the US citizens are scared and some have left - but that is all. (IMHO an overreaction - but that is generally how US react?) We still have many europeans, asians and austrailian people visiting every day. There has been no Travel advisory issued by the US governement for anywhere in the Gulf.

It is really the 'perception' from people outside that the UAE is in a "hotspot' area. But did you know that Greece, Crete and Cyprus are closer to the Israeli/Palastinian troubles than here. India, Pakistan and China are closer to Afghanistan than the UAE.

Its all a perception problem from people who havn't much experience of living in this region. I find living in Dubai far safer than Egypt for example, locals have no history of radical actions. There are about 1.8m expats living here, with only 0.2m locals.

[ September 19, 2001: Message edited by: Steve ]

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Groover and Steve,

I've just got back from Dubai/Philippines (after a 10 hr delay at Dubai where an Aeroflot bellylanded!).

Opening night at York was indeed good...never seen such a mix of working girl before..rough Russian, black and Chinese! Crikey! A few non-workers in there too though. I was in a white T-shirt with a huge northern ex-pat called Gazza who works for the RAF out there (not sure how close-knit the ex pats are there!).

The black ones can be quite nice, but I didn't indulge. Not impressed with the Russians though, best I saw were the Filipinos. Rocky's had some nice ones in there who were friendly and seemed up for it. I know the camp chap you mentioned..I stayed WELL clear over by the bar when he was on, but he was bloody funny.

Bit knackered on the Sat night so went to Arif Castle...complete meatmarket, getting grabbed all the time and basically had to look at the ceiling in an attempt to not get hassled all the time. The best thing was the Filipino band..a STUNNING singer there, shame they don't mingle at all after the set. Basically I'll be recommending Dubai and will definitely go back there for longer. I didn't even manage to see Planetarium and the other "proper" dance clubs. Onto Philippines where the big shopping centres held the key to obtainable beauty - maybe how Thailand used to be before the foreigner influx? They seem less materialistic and shyer to approach, but they certainly like foreigners.

quote:

Originally posted by Snailster:

For the guys currently in Dubai:

How does the local population treat you since The Attack? Hope things are well...

Sorry I'm late with this one but my pc went down the tubes on the 11th....just after I received a mail from my friend who worked at the WTC - scary.

No noticeable change in attitudes here (same as during the Gulf War when I was also here) although I am being asked my nationality a lot by Asian workers (mainly Pakistanis). I stress the Scottishness of myself and am considering donning the kilt more regularly and becoming a "devil in skirt"!

Judging by the headlines in the UK media, it may be safer here than at home.....

Groover

Groover,

I heard from a number of people now they feel safer by travelling on one of the arabian airlines (like emirates, Gulfair), as less likely to be targetted for hi-jack - they may have a point......

Incidently, passed by with friends the arabic club in the Crowne Plaza - well what a shock.......talk about full of hookers........but local ladies, who arrive all covered up...once inside they are off with the covers showing how they can belly dance in front of your table (wearing very very revealling outfits), enticing you up to thier table....never seen or experienced anything like that before. Never indulged, partly because my other half was with me, but would be nervous about the repercusions with the local men.

[ September 27, 2001: Message edited by: Steve ]

I agree with you about flying on Emirates etc...that would be my logic too.

Incidentally, is this arabic club in the crowne plaza on Sheikh Zayed Road? And the women were guests? Wow....I have been to Rumours a few times recently and am quite impressedf with one or two of the ladies in there.....

Also, isn't it surprising how many married men that you bump into in these bars who claim that they were "dragged in" by their mates?

Groover

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Steve:

Remember, 95% of people in Dubai are expats, working here for a few years.

Steve,

I hope, you do not mind, if I change the topic of this thread for a single qustion.

- Do you have information about the current employment-situation in Dubai?

- Is it worth applying for an it-job in the banking-sector?

- Do you know any good resources of information (internet)?

I am seriously interested in a well-paid expat-opportunity in the arabs and then retiring in SEA after "punishing" myself for a couple of years.

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: Horny_Dog ]

there are lots of opportunities in Dubai within the IT sector, with the development of Internet City and Media City. Microsoft, Oracle and IBM among other big US names are all setting up large regional headquarters here.

To complement that, the development of the 2 largest man-made islands in the world "Palm Island" in addition to the Marina project gives massive work opportunities in all skills in differing industry sectors.

A word of warning - although salaries are tax-free, all accommodation and trsnport to/from work is paid for, it is a six day week for most people, working 10 to 12 hours per day. Social activities end up being quite expensive as Dubai is becomming quite expensive compared to a few years ago. It is also very easy to spend your money instead of saviing it.

Given the current economic and US led activities in the region, there may be a couple of months whereby a number of companies will put a hold on recruitment. I do think this doe depend on which sector of industry your are in though. My friend who is in the IT disaster recovery solution business says they are overloaded with orders and are doubling thier workforce.

Good luck!!

Steve:

> there are lots of opportunities in Dubai within the IT sector, with the development of Internet City and Media City. Microsoft, Oracle and IBM among other big US names are all setting up large regional headquarters here.

To complement that, the development of the 2 largest man-made islands in the world "Palm Island" in addition to the Marina project gives massive work opportunities in all skills in differing industry sectors.

Thank you very much. I will try to dig through the search-engines and try to find some more info about Dubai. I think, it is worth the effort.

[ October 13, 2001: Message edited by: Horny_Dog ]

• 5 months later...

Thought I would bring this thread up again to see if anyone has an update on the scene here lately.

I notice that the number of street girls, especially in Rigga street during the day has increased noticably lately, and some good lookers for a change.

I know that Cyclone and Premier remain as popular as ever, although you can get girls at Premier more easily for Dhs300 -500 nowadays instead of them demanding Dhs700 - 1000.

Would love to know how York hotel and imperial suites are getting on.

Archived