A warning about windows update regarding drivers

carlton68

Hi,

those using Windows update might have noticed that sometimes Windows update offers updates for hardware drivers. I am somewhat anal with my drivers. Usually have the newest version, I check with the manufacturers on a regular basis. Of course I do not install the newest video drivers for my somewhat ancient video cards. That might cause problems as well.

So when M$ offers to update my drivers I am suspicious. It doesn't happen often and I usually decline.

Twice I was foolish enough to give it a try. Twice it was a miss. First one (ok, some three years ago) was a soundcard. Once the Windows update drivers were installed the rear speakers got no signal anymore. Back to original drivers, everything fine again.

Second one was just last week (actually checking if the WGA patch still works). Got offered drivers for my SATA II controller, which wasn't making problems and for which there are no new drivers on the manufacturers website since about 6 month. I was a bit suspicious and did a benchmark before I updated the driver, and a benchmark afterwards. After the update the benchmark showed a performance loss. WTF! Ok, not a great loss. I think in daily usage I would not have noticed a difference. Of course I installed the original driver again. Up to now still no new driver from the manufacturer.

Next time Windows update offers a new driver I'll tell it to shut up.

everytime I use the 'auto update' I lose functionality.

I spent literally days trying to get sound back after a 'patch'

f'd with a driver other than my sound card ..

dummy me, kept reinstalling the sound card / drivers ..

not the problem

& my valid registered XP disc will not longer do an over lay.

the latest patch causes Office apps to lock.

I often have Office apps under heavy load lock .. apps that never locked pre the latest MS patch .. occassionally a hard "3 finger salute" lock. <ctr> <alt> <delete>

usually I can save the file .. but sometime work is lost .. losing edits is the worst!

what is the societal cost for the 1000s of clerical persons losing their work

+ spending the time to reboot the bloated OS that XP is . I bet it's minimum five minutes from the time I start closing apps till I'm back up .. by then I've completely lost my train of thought

I rebooted 5 or 6 times yesterday .. I did have 5 or 6 programs open in addition to office .. but all were required to complete the task at hand . bet it was 15 minutes from time of 'lock' til back to work

I f'n hate it when 'save' does not work!

arrogant f'ers!

Bill Gates has cost society more than Osama could dream of

Hi, I won't come down on Win XP that hard. Can't compare it with Linux or Mac OS, as I never used that.

Have Windows XP Pro, SP2 and most patches installed.

Computer is running 24/7 because I'm using P2P. Currently last restart was 10 days ago. At the same time I use it for internet, composing letters (office), browsing pics, view movies, use it as stereo (dolby digital receiver connected via S/PDIF), watch TV via DVB-S card, record some things from TV, cut and encode video, copy and burn DVDs (and CDs). And have two flatscreens connected so I can watch TV and post this at the same time.

I'd say Win XP runs quite reliable. That might have been different when XP was new, but since SP2 I really like it.

I guess that there's something wrong with your setup, have you tried a repair of your OS?

Hua Nguu,

you are right, i shouldn't be so anal with the drivers.

BaronTT,

one reason might be that manufacturers like HP, Dell and others are interested to save in service costs. They only offer new drivers if there's a problem with the current drivers. Otherwise they'd have to talk many users through the update or provide service for users who fuck up their system during driver update.

The Windows world is a lot more complex than the Mac world - lots more possible configurations and combinations because there are so many more vendors in the Windows universe. I would imagine making automatic updates for Windows foolproof is about as difficult a task as one could imagine.

The rule I tend to follow is, "If it ain't broke...

I just wish there was some way to turn off the nagging dialog boxes.

I see you lists of apps includes word.

article below is about my problem which started after a 'auto-update'

My registered install discs no longer will do an overlay.

Microsoft security patch kills Office

Interoperability they have heard of it

By Nick Farrell: Tuesday 18 April 2006, 07:02

A BATCH of Microsoft security updates causes some of Vole's prized Office software to crash.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31061

>>>

'My registered install discs no longer will do an overlay.'

Possible cause: the Win XP install disk is pre-SP2. afaik when SP2 is installed you can't do a repair with an older install disk. Needs to be an install disk with SP2 included. If you have a normal install cd and SP2 you can slipstream your own install cd with SP2 included.

Archived