US Troops Deserting

candyfloss

In the end it all came down to Resolution 1441 and whether Iraq was in 'material breach' or not. People will argue about it forever depending on how they feel about the invasion. The facts are that Iraq was supposed to prove a negative which is logically impossible and the US and Britain wanted a pretext to invade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UN_Security_Council_Resolution_1441

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I was told in basic training that if I'm given an illegal or immoral order, it is my duty to disobey it."

only problem is when ( if) you end up in front of a court martial board, they will decide if you made the correct decision. ( and we all know how that will go)

No Teddy, there is not one tattoo on my body.

I am just someone who has been to the desert with the 82d Airborne Division and served along side some outstanding individuals. It gets under my skin when I hear of guys deserting from a volunteer force, especially a volunteer unit drawing additional pay, a unit that is known to be the "first to fight." I promise you, no one told these guys they would not have to go to war. The military was OK as long as they drew their paycheck and educational benefits back in the barracks; but when it came time to go in harms way and do their job...they ran away!!

I have had soldiers, excellent young men, who served under me make the ultimate sacrifice, I will not patronize these cowards hiding in Canada. They deserted their comrades, this is something they will have to face for the rest of their live!

elef said:

I agree, I understand better if some guys serving in the National Guards are deserting, but the right is to disobey an illegal order not to desert. The iraqi operation is decided by the president and accepted by the congress and the UN so it's not a reason to desert just because a soldier thinks he doesn't like the grounds for the war.

I think the argument that 'my superior said it was ok', does not hold up, at least not if we follow a principle and not who is powerfull enough to change laws as they see fit.

Just like more soldiers should have told Hitler to sodd of when he wanted to defend Germany against Poland by attacking Poland before they could do anyting they did not intent to do, more people should tell Bush to sodd of.

If they are cowards or not depends on why they do it. If they belive in the war and desert they are cowards, if they belive the war is morally wrong and refuse to take part they are heroes, heroes we need more of.

chuck6660 said:

They deserted their comrades, this is something they will have to face for the rest of their live!

Yes they will have to live with that, but I suppose they will find it easier to live with deserting their comrades than living with the fact that they murdered people in an immoral, illegal and unecessary war. I suppose also that they could have consoled themselves with the belief that they were only following orders but I suppose also that they just have more conscience than the average soldier.

An amusing little ditty from Good Morning Vietnam.

Q. What's the difference between the US Army and the boy scouts.

A. The boy scouts don't have heavy artillery.

I added US but it was a movie about Vietnam so it is appropriate and anyway we all know the British Army doesn't have any artillery, only Landrovers.

As you say the UN never accepted the invasion of Iraq. Furthermore the EU also didn't accept it. I personally feel that the yankee arse licking countries in eastern Europe that were in line to join should have been barred, especially the bible thumping Poles, as they clearly demonstrated their opinion that Europe should be run from Washington.

Guest lazyphil

What are Belgium, Danish troops doing there....other western European countys to I think. I think the world should've be run from Stockholm since the early 1930's, I wonder what the world would be like now?

Archived