Who will win the WC 2006?

limbo

Germoney won the opener pretty covincing against Costa Rica but will have serious problems with their defense once opposed to a stronger opponent than Costa Rica.

Very surprising victory of Ecuador over Poland. Well done.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Limbo,

Agree with your comment on Germany. Shaky defence will definitely have trouble against stronger teams.

As for Ecuador, it is a little surprising but then again, have Poland been that strong lately? If you look at Ecuador last year during their qualification matches, they had fine results there I just wasn't sure they could keep their form until now...

Poland need a result against Germany now..very tough for them.

good game between the Germans and Costa Rica........good to see the WC kick off on a high.

the Germans 1st and 4th Goals were classics.

but i did notice 2 things.

the Goalies had said that they feraed the new ball and it certainly does seem to move all over the place.

look at how much it moved when Frings hit it for the 4th Goal.

and i didn't see the Ref apply the directive from FIFA.

they have been told to book Players for diving and the waving of imaginary cards.

the Ref failed to do this on a couple of occasions and hopefully we will see Players get into trouble for these offences very soon.

yeah we've got a colorful bayern munich stadium here north of town ;)

and then various smaller 'stadiums' around the city to watch the games for us non ticket holders :banghead:

indeed a great opening match with an all time high score, but surely the home team might need some defensive skills when the run into a 'real' team like brazil, spain or italy?

limbo said:

Germoney won the opener pretty covincing against Costa Rica but will have serious problems with their defense once opposed to a stronger opponent than Costa Rica.

I didn't see the speed football Klinsam has promised, probably it is impossible to play like that versus a team that has a 9 men defensive block. I said it in another thread, germany doesn't have a defense. I'd like to correct myself, Germany has 3 good defense players but this Arne Friedrich guy was 2 times too lazy to make 1 step forward to let the Costas run into the offside trap. The 2nd Costa Rica goal was offside though! 6 goals in an opening game should be a record!

limbo said:

Very surprising victory of Ecuador over Poland. Well done.

Totally not surprised, Poland has more issues with themselves or their coach. Someone who leaves Dudek at home gotta be crazy. The new goalie catched a shot versus Colombia, when the colombian goalie was making a kick from his own goall, the ball was 113 meters in the air but the polish dude wasn't able to catch it. lol!

sayjann said:

the Goalies had said that they feraed the new ball and it certainly does seem to move all over the place.

look at how much it moved when Frings hit it for the 4th Goal.

I think it was just the spin, Frings was moving to the right in high speed and the he gave the ball a spin to the right as well. I guess the old balls would have moved kinda the same way. I might be mistaken, I think what they are referring to is that the ball is shaking up and down when someone makes a power shot!

bust1 said:

...........and didn't the stadium just look stunning!!!!!!!!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Both of them, the Munich Arena and the one in Gelsenkirchen (can close the roof when it is raining)

The opening ceremony gave me the creeps. Now the whole world thinks the germans wear traditional leatherwear, lol

where have been the bratwurst and the dutch beach digging?

I think the ymade fun about themselves or have they been for real?

many of the Goalies had been expressing concerns about the ball and i can see why.

it does move in the air but it also causes problems for the outfield Players.

many times we saw shots taken and the ball went everywher but near the Goal.

it seems a little light to me.

i didn't see anything wrong with both the Costa Rica Goals........

both were borderline but good to see that the advantage were given to the attackers.

Archived