Winboard.org Update packs english language

carlton68

Hi,

fortunately I never had such a problem. It's the first time I read about that.

Which update causes the problem? KB1234...? Please tell me. Maybe there's info on the net.

The update pack is a self-extracting archive. You may extract it using a packer like 7-zip or Winrar. Best when you right-click on the file to choose the option 'extract here'. It will extract two txt-files and a 'install.cmd'. And a folder named 'data' which contains the patches.

It is possible to edit the 'install.cmd' and remove the line with the patch that causes trouble. Then execute 'install.cmd'.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fix is KB917283, looked it up as well. Suggest I use net framework cleanup tool and then install net framework 2.0. Most of those suggestions were old. I already have net framework 2.0 installed as it is a requirement for another piece of SW I use.

Thanks for the heads up. I can exclude the patch. I can always try to add it later as well.

Hi,

seems you're not the only one having a problem with KB917283.

Googled for it and first hit was of someone who ad problems installing the patch. His solution (and what I'd have done, too) was to uninstall .net framework and reinstall .net framework. After that he could apply the patch. sorry, no link, it's all german.

I use a few progs as well that require .net framework. Once had a problem with one of them, couldn't figure out what to do until it dawned on me that it's using .net framework. quick uninstall - reinstall of .net framework and the tool was working well again.

Hehe, sometimes I don't really know what I'm doing, but do it anyway with the confidence of a recent backup :-)

Just an update, took a harder look, and noticed I still had framework.net 1.1 installed as well as a hotfix for 1.1 and framework.net 2.0. So, I deinstalled 1.1 and hotfix and and ran the winboard patch set again. This time it worked--so I think when the initial job ran, it was probably either looping on something in the 1.1 code on in its own code since cpu usage was recursively going from 2 to 7 percent for about 20 minutes.

Anyway, whatever, deinstalling framework.net 1.1 seemed to do the trick, thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning,

patch day was two days ago. There are still no update packs from Winboard. Even in the forum the administrators only acknowledged the fact and promised to give an explanation soon.

Same on Winfuture.

I wonder what that explanation is going to be (even so I can imagine what happened).

So I checked Windows update. It offered three updates. Be aware, one of them is that dreaded WGA notification. I hope no one is going to install this.

Unfortunately not.

Both on Winboard.org and Winfuture.de administrators aren't giving explanations. They ask to be patient, they will explain at a later time. No update packs for march. Don't know if there are any update packs in the future.

Only a wild speculation, but I guess Microsoft is behind this.

Today there was more info about why the update packs aren't available anymore.

Microsoft 'asked' not to offer those update packs anymore. Said Microsoft 'might' take legal action.

Microsoft has every right to do so. The guys from Winboard and Winfuture had no choice but comply.

So 'Hasta la Vista' update packs.

Why does Microsoft do this? Well, obviously to make it more difficult to use their OS without paying.

I read about a possibility to create your own update packs by downloading the desired patches from Microsoft and put them together yourself. I'll report when I know more. But this will not replace the update packs.

Regardless of the fact they might not be shipping, I wonder if anyone has run into the following problem.

I downloaded the entire cum at 2.24 about 2-3 weeks ago and eventually applied it successfully to my XPPro systems. Since then my kids got on and got some really bad adware/virus on my system which I could not totally get off regardless of different approaches. That's water under the bridge.

So, I am making a clean install of XPpro, which I have done 3 times already. I have added the cum at 2.24 to the XPPro (there is little else on the system although I added Net Framework 2.0 on one occasion and not on another. Each time when I reboot after applying the patches, apparently successfully, Windows dies with a blue screen during boot almost immediately after windows connects.

I have set restore points (they are not there when I try to boot from last good boot). I have tried to go to safe mode (different ways) and it is still dying, I have tried to insert the XPpro cd and to invoke repair mode, but it doesn't go there. Any ideas whatsoever what might be causing this failure at this point.

When it installed successfully before, the system was a mature system and had been running with many applications and some of the fixes already put on by windows update. In this environment, it has few applications (on one try had Office, network and virus checcker up), or none. I can do the windows update thing, but the the network is relatively slow, that is the reason I am trying to apply this cumulative set of updates. Any advice would be appreciated.

Archived