Winboard.org Update packs english language

carlton68

Hi,

sorry, but I never heared of such problems.

Only solution that comes to my mind is Service Pack 2. SP2 is prerequisite for the update packs. I don't know if the update packs check if SP2 is already installed. Never tried. Does your XP Pro setup CD have SP2 included, or did you install SP2 after XP setup?

If your setup CD doesn't have SP2 included it's possible to slipstream SP2 into the setup CD. If one is to set up XP more than once this saves valuable time.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you apply the full update pack or the upgrade update from 2.23-to-2.24? If the later, you may have some conflict with missing/incompatible updated bits that are searching for other bit that are not there. Sorry to be so technical :grinyes: ...

Cheers,

SD

No, I applied the full upgrade pack, the XPPro SP install base was not a recent one. That was the point, downloading all the fixes from MS takes a lot of time in LOS sometimes, regardless of whether you have DSL or not.

Given that this is LOS, maybe the easiest solution is to just go get a new(er) XPPro base and not waste a whole bunch of time trying to locate the imcompatibility and remove it from the full pack.

manaomaiminam,

XP Pro with SP2 included is as new as it can get.

To me it seems obvious that your problems start with the update pack. Unfortunately there will be no newer version of an update pack, and there is no support for the current ones anymore.

I can't think of any other solution for your problem other than 'don't use the update pack anymore'.

Well, possibly something, but not necessarily worth the time trying: The last times I did a clean install the first thing after booting XP was installing all relevant drivers/application for the hardware (most USB devices unplugged at that stage). Then I applied IE7, WMP11, .NET Framework.

Only then I applied the winboard update pack, because it contains updates for IE7 and .Net Framework.

Theory says there should be no problem doing it the other way round - when an update can't find the component to update then it will take the short exit and not update anything. I never tried that though.

You may of course extract the update pack and install the updates manually one by one. which will be a pain in the ass.

Currently I fiddle with nlite. A tool to make my own XP setup CD. I hope that I can include IE7, framework and updates as well as drivers so this will be installed from the start. This will of course not include future updates so it won't replace the update packs.

Familiar with nlite. You mention something salient though. Not all my drivers were installed as I did not have sound yet for sure. Did not check all my other componenents. As I said, I had installed this same set of updates on a more mature XPpro (one with about 50% of the updates already on, and all apps and drivers running) and it installed OK. I also would think, if I didn't have the updated component on the system, it should just skip it. Since it was being installed against a pristine system, only IE9 (not 10 or 11) was on. Maybe I will try it again insuring that all my drivers are on.

Archived