U.S. Customs searches...

I'm more concerned with customs in Thailand, particularly on my next visit, July 12. I'm going to start moving a few things via my suitcases to my house in Chiang Mai. This includes my booze supply, which i have stocked over the last 4-5 years on trips to St. Maarten (duty free and cheap) and Ireland (not as cheap but Irish whiskey that is not exported, like Powers 12 year old and Redbreast). I also have some high end whisky that I bought in Edinburgh 4 years ago. There is probably 10 bottles that I would like to bring, in July and then in October (5 each time). I would pack them in my carry on, so that they won't break. Whats the chances of being stopped? In 10 trips to LOS, the oly time that I was stopped was when I brought back 4 doors off of various rosewood furniture that had shrunk enough to want me to replace them. They wee packed in carboard and the official had me open it to see what was inside the carton. Has anyone had anything confiscated by Thai customs?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nkped said:

[color:"red"]"Good way to convince them you are trying to hide something. If they're not on the customs declaration, oh well."[color:"black"]

Nope, I declare everything. I also wrap everything in bubble wrap. If they want to search, it is fine with me. Nothing they can do if I already declared it except seize them.

Dean said:

[color:"red"]"I've been told, on a flight back from Puerto Vallarta on Alaska Air by a flight attendant, that if you are below the limit (which is either $600 or $800), then you don't have to fill out the back and itemize. So, I haven't for the past year. "

[color:"black"]

I declare because this lets them know what is in my bags and I suspect if they know what I am bringing back it is less of a chance they will check me. A lot of times I am 3-4 times over my limit but what I do is put the items that are exempt at the top of my declaration. When my exempts are checked off, I fall below the 800 limit.

When I was living in San Diego, a few years back, they openned a "duty free" shop on the main street in TJ (Tijuana) and the liquor was very cheap (like $5 for a liter of Finlanda Vodak), so every weekend, the trolley to the border, bus to the main drag in TJ, one bottle of "juice" and back to San Diego. I had a HUGE stock!

I got bold and started doing two bottles a run, was OK for a while and then one time, they made me pour one bottle down the drain as I was over the limit :(

I offered to pay duty, they said NO; I then said it was "not mine, I found it, please take it and have a party", they said NO. I had to pour it down the drain...what a waste!!!

July4th.jpg

Back to the legal limit. ::

Cavanami, maybe we are relatives or at least think the same.

I use to do the same shit but what I would do is bring back the limit at one border crossing, put the booze in my car and go back thru a different border crossing.

One day, one of the Custom agents told me I had better stop what I was doing or I would get busted for smuggling. I stopped right then and there.

Dean:

I've always thoght the wording on the customs form was kind of vauge, and could be understood either way ( fill it out or leave it blank if under the limit)

maybe it was planned that way

PhilAnders said:
cavanami said:

For US citizens, I have seen the immy's put a "tick mark" on your Custom's form and then you are pulled off to the side.

From what I have seen, it can begin with the immy's and then on to the Custom folks.

this is what happened to me. My arrival form was definately marked differently from previous visits by the Immigration Officer. Forgot what he wrote exactly, but it wasn't a big 1 (indicating one person).

Had to show/count all my money after telling them how much I was carrying.

How goes the inquiry using the Freedom of Information Act, Old Hippie?

Haven't filed yet...The director of customs in SFO is "looking into it..." but she did say to ask for her the next time it hapens...

Quote:

Bangkoktraveler said:

Dean, I bring back DVDs and never had a problem. What I do is wrap them in bubble wrap and tape the shit out of the package.

Good way to convince them you are trying to hide something. If they're not on the customs declaration, oh well.

Waste of time, they will open it up, and if they think you are trying to hide them, bigger problem then if you hand them over when/if asked...last time, they let me keep all I had...maybe 30 in all. But they did ask, and I did give them to them...

Haven't filed yet...The director of customs in SFO is "looking into it..." but she did say to ask for her the next time it hapens...

and hope she is on duty that day

Archived