bringing laptop to LOS

Greetings,

I've been to LOS many times, but will be bringing my laptop computor for the first time this coming trip. Does anyone know if there are any problems bringing it in to the country for the 3 weeks I'll be here? Do you have to declare it at customs or pay duties? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

I was in Bangkok during July and brought my Laptop and I had no problems. No questions asked. You dont need to worry about the x-ray machines deleting your files. Some people think that they xray machine wipe your HD but it doesnt happen..

I tried to keep keep the laptop out of site in the hotel room.. Just incase one of the cleaners decides to take up computing.

Pussyraider

Thanks for the info, but I guess my main concern was when I go through customs, are you supposed to declare that you have a PC with you or not. If I remember correctly, they ask if you have computor equipment on the customs form. And if you declare it, do they tax you? If you don't declare it and they stop you, will they confiscate it?

I brought in my laptop in July and there were no problems what so ever at customs.

For internet usage in Thailand, there are many local Internet Service Providers (ISP:s) that you can use here on a temporary basis, for example loxinfo.co.th (prepaid internet time).

Re: X-ray machines. They _can't_ harm your puter -- but do not bring the puter through the metal detector. The latter CAN harm the computer.

smile.gif" border="0

All--

I bring my (company) laptop, my (company) DVD player AND my (personal) PalmPilot M505..

I ALWAYS delcare these things to Thai customs.. A few times I've been asked about these things as I enter and a few time as I have been leaving BKK..

To help my case.. I went to the Office of the US Customs and had the items "registered".. It's a free service. You simply take the physical items to a US Customs office (must be Customs not INS,etc) and you write a simple description of the item and note the serial number.. the Customs officer will verify the information then stamp the form (so you can't change it later) and give it back to you.. Keep it in your passport... This will prove that you had the item back in the US.. Therefore it's impossible that you bought it in BKK etc..

Thai customs knows about this form..

---UPSer laugh.gif" border="0

I've been carrying laptops in and out of Bangkok for nearly fifteen years now and have yet to have anyone raise an eyebrow about it. Customs rarely checks foreigners at all, but on the very few occasions someone has actually looked in my briefcase, they've shown no more interest in my laptop than they have in whatever files I happened to be carrying. Gee, I wonder what they WOULD have been interested in? Maybe stacks of currency in nice crisp wrappers?

Anyway, my own view is that if you declare your laptop, you're just asking for trouble. In the first place, it's a reasonable interpretation of most country's customs regulations that you don't have to. And in the second, the rule of thumb that most people apply here is to keep your head down and your mouth shut no matter what happens. Anything other choice accomplishes little but to open the door to problems.

I always travel with a lap top. Sometimes I trek in and out of LOS several times a trip. Once at Pattaya(airport) I was asked what I had. I showed my lap top, among other things, and I was waved through.

Virtually all buisnessmen these days travel with a laptop etc.

I suppose if you are woirried about laptops what about mobile phones?

Archived