WORLD CUP TALK.

sayjann

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok , another question , i'm making a true commitment to watch these games , and quite frankly i'm enjoying them. But i feel i need to understand the rules a bit more. Can you please explain the " off-sides " rule. I understand it in hockey , but how does it apply to football ?

Bada :beer: Bing

Er, what are you doing? There's no way you can have the Germans above us! 5-1 in their own backyard, remember! :D

To be honest, I don't think we can read much into things at this stage. I can't even remember the first games of Brazil in 2002, France in 1998, Brazil in 1994, etc, being that impressive.

Btw, what the fuck was that massive video cube doing in the England game? :dunno:

Jesus,Badababes...........don't get us started on the off-side rule........ :shakehead

FIFA (the governing body of Football) keep changing the off-side rule and because of that the Players have little idea what is going on.

and no help to the Officials either as thay seem to have no idea either............ :doah:

but to put it in basic terms........

a Player attacking the Goal cannot touch the ball if there is not an opponent between him and the Goal.

but in my part of the World we have a joke.

if a Girl understands the Off-side rule then she is worth chatting up.

if she doesn't then just move on...........

it's what all Men want.............

after the sex talking about Football is perfect............ :chili:

BadaBing said:

But i feel i need to understand the rules a bit more. Can you please explain the " off-sides " rule. I understand it in hockey , but how does it apply to football ?

Bada - you need to take a few lessons on footie rules from Stevo before you come here. We don't want to waste all our valuable beer guzzling time explaining the rules to you! :beer:

Seriously, I agree that the T&T vs. Sweden match was fun to watch. You have to like the passion of the Ts and their fans. They may well not take another point out of this World Cup, but they have won already. As for the Swedes, I think a few people here are going a bit overboard. They certainly lacked in their finishing, but my guess is that they still might advance if they can get something from the England match.

It was on late here, but I understand that the Ivory Coast/Argentina match was the match of the tourney so far. No surprise there as Argentina want this one badly, and IC are massive in Africa. Nice to see the Arsenal boys Toure and Eboue gaining yet more intl experience together.

I am looking forward to seeing how France do. I think a lot of people are writing them off prematurely when they have the talent to go very far. Perhaps win it all. My sense is that our friend Henry has a point to prove on this stage.

Well, it took me a long time to get here, but I suppose it is fitting that my 1000th nana plaza post be here in the Sports section. After all, 900 of the others were.

froggo

Law 11, the offense of Offside is one of the most difficult and contentious decisions a refereee or his assistant has to make during a game of soccer.

It is a matter of judgement and opinion usually taken in a milli-second during a high speed movement in a game.

There is no simple way to explain the rule other than by reading and digesting the regulations.

LAW 11 -OFFSIDE

Offside Position:

It is not an offense in itself to be in an offside position.

A Player is in an offside position if:

He is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent.

A Player is NOT in an offside position if:

He is in his own half of the field of play

OR

He is level with the second last opponent

OR

He is level with the last two opponents.

THE OFFENSE:

A Player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

Interfering with play

OR

Interfering with an opponent

OR

Gaining an advantage by being in that position.

When is a player regarded as being "actively involved in play?"

Interfering with play means playing or touching the ball passed or touched by a team mate.

Interfering with an opponent means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent's line of vision or movements or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent.

Gaining an advantage by being in an offside position means playing a ball that rebounds to him off a post or crossbar or playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having been in an offside position.

If a player is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent. The position of any part of the player's head, body or feet will be the deciding factor and not the player's arms.

NO OFFENSE:

There is no offense if a Player receives the ball directly from:

A goal kick

OR

A throw-in

OR

A corner Kick

SANCTIONS

For any offside offense, the referee awards an indirect free kick to the oposing team to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred

ChristianTroy said:

It is like Dirk Nowitzky would play a 10yo kid in a one on one match! Game is over after 5 minutes even when it is a tie. The final result will be 10:10, who do you think is gonna celebrate and whos gonna cry? ;) got it?

T&T was the total underdog while sweden is one of the fav teams!

**edit**

The winner gets 3 points

The looser gets 0 points

at a tie both teams get 1 point

it wasn't to expect that T&T would make a single point at the entire tournament!

now you got it!!!??

Its not a tie, its a draw :stirthepo

BadaBing said:

ok , one more stupid question , when the T&T guy got kicked outta the game , why did they have to play 1 player short for the remainder of the game ? Why not make him sit out , but not make them play short ?

He didn't get "kicked out", he got red-carded or sent-off :stirthepo

Thats the penalty for a second yellow-card. You are allowed one yellow card (a warning) usually for foul play, cheating, dissent and others. The next yellow card will result in a red card meaning that you are sent off. The team then plays with a player short.

Archived