WORLD CUP TALK.

sayjann

The_Munchmaster said:

These statistics just show what "one hit wonders" the English really are and yet every WC they profess themselves to be one of the top favourites. :shakehead

There's another table that shows number of games played, won, drew and lost in the World Cup ever and, even though England didn't bother to participate until 1950, they're still in the top 5 or 6 with more "points" than, say, France.

The World CUP (see the emphasis? ::) needs, by its very nature, some luck to win it.

Bitter Scotsman. Why can't you lot define yourself by some other measure than hate towards England? :shakehead

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chocolat steve said:

...and you are intimately familiar with what goes on with pro sports players during matches? :bow:

Which professional team did you play for?

I have raced for a couple of seasons in the Italian Sport Production Championship (motorbikes, speed on track) in the 125cc 2-stroke class (very amateurishly) and I have raced for 2 seasons in the 250cc class at a pro level (I mean paid, as a job).

The sport I was in is, because of its very nature (not because its players are intrinsically "better"), rather "clean" but I can assure you that in sports people act exactly like they act in the "real life", if you get what I mean... ::

They all don't transmute themselves into heroes, saints and perfect gentlemen just because they enter a stadium or a racetrack. Part of the job (don't forget that pro level players are doing just that, a job. And a highly paid one at that) is often to master their own sport's tricks and stratagems like, for example, getting into their weaker opponents' heads...

Can I have an autograph? ::

I doubt you want one, I have never really won anything important, although for a while I was considered a "promise" (and being the Italian Championship we are talking about I must add that is really saying something since in motorsports Italy is an even bigger "superpower" than it is in football) :)

Help a yank out. Why don't they just pick up the ball and run with it, wouldn't it be easier to score?

Let me guess. You're a man yoo supporter, right?

The funny thing is football is not even my passion, I am one of the few Italians (make it Europeans) who don't particularly care for football...

My burning passions in life are motorbikes, cars, parachuting, hang-gliding, girls, booze, drugs and music (not necessarily in this order) so I'm sorry, I can't really help you with ball games... :spin:

bibblies said:..... Bitter Scotsman. Why can't you lot define yourself by some other measure than hate towards England? :shakehead

We're not bitter, we're just sick and tired of England harping on about 1966 and how they are going to win every world cup since then. Anyway England Baiting is one of our favourite pastimes. :)

I liked to see those historical statistics as it is the first time I have seen them tabulated. I think it's the fairest standings to count golds first, silver second, and so on. I've condensed it as follows:

gold-silver-bronze (total) country

--------------------------------------

5-2-2 (9) Brazil

4-2-1 (7) Italy

3-4-3 (10) Germany

2-2-0 (4) Argentina

2-0-0 (2) Uruguay

1-1-2 (4) France

1-0-0 (1) England

There are 3 countries that stand out there. I had no idea England has only been in the medals once. But I keep hearing whispers they won it under disputable circumstances. What exactly happened in 1966 that is so controversial 40 years on?

Nice comeback! I googled it and read the go ahead goal was extremely marginal hitting the cross bar, coming straight down to the ground, then going away from the box. The player (guess that's him?) instead of tapping it in celebrated the goal. But one ref didn't call it in, then the russian ref did with the implication russians are biased against germans. Dunno why the fuss on something that close, sounds like it should stand and certainly be forgotten by now!

The guy holding the cup is Bobby Moore, the Captain of England at the Time. The guy to his left (on the picture) was the scorer, Geoff Hurst. He also scored the 4th goal so no matter what the controversy was about the third goal, we still would have won. In fact the German equalizer to make it 2 - 2 should not have stood because there was a hand ball that the ref didn't see.

Archived