Recommended 5 Star Hotel?

Straycat

Kite_Flyer said:

There are others. Many customers used to stay in the above up to 6500 Baht/night. We let them try Majestic Grande, Grande Deluxe room, priced at 3498 Baht/night(special price not on our web) and they haven't gone back to the others.

Tim

Does anyone know how to access a Grande Deluxe Room at the Majestic at the rate cited by Tim?

I'm looking for a place to stay for a week next month and have gone off the Jasmine since they stopped the free wireless Internet access.

Regards,

KF

KF,

Sorry to hear that you had a bad one at Jasmine.

For the special prices at Majestic Grande. All bookings that come in via the reservation system are given these special prices. I cannot advertise them on the web, but sell them to all. The Wi-Fi at Majestic is not free either at 550 baht/24 hours etc.

If you would like a room, let me know. i am quite friendly with the Sales Director now, given the volume of business we send the hotel. I can possible get 1 room for you. Need to speak with her directly.

PS. Changed my log in name to reflect my website.

Tim

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try the "Somerset Maugham suite" at the Oriental hotel (or any of the Author's suites for that matter)

Even though we own an apartment in bangers, we still go and stay here a couple of nights a year because we love the Oriental.

Leaves other so-called 5 stars in its wake.

Sukothai,Banyan Tree,Sheraton(s),Hilton,Hyatt are ok, but have no charm.

buffalo_bill said:

I found it , they have a website . Can I take my Gf there , I think it's expensive .

The Oriental is probably, along with Raffles in Singapore, the most famous British Colonial Hotel in Asia. I read somewhere once that it is actually a "6 star" if such a thing is possible. It oozes of history and character, fantastic food (thai and western),impecable levels of service, cool jazz bar (the bamboo bar) with internationally renounded jazz musicians, right on the Chao Phraya river....just a great place.

Yes you can take your GF there and your GF can take you there. Or you can both go on your own.It is just hotel.

Just wear smart casual and have good manners and you'll get in the front door very easily.(unless your Jim Carrey and can walk around in your slippers and shorts....as I saw him there about 4 months ago)

:)

alphamale said:
buffalo_bill said:

I found it , they have a website . Can I take my Gf there , I think it's expensive .

Yes you can take your GF there and your GF can take you there. Or you can both go on your own.

That would be news indeed - the Oriental has become guest friendly! No argument that it is one of the greatest hotels in the world, perhaps the greatest, but it has also always been one of the most guest unfriendly establishments in the history of commercial hospitality.

But it's been 10 years since I stayed there and five since heard any credible first-hand stories, so I can't really refute what alphamale is saying. In the past, it was totally impossible to bring a Thai lady back to your room. You couldn't even register together with a Thai lady unless you could show documents that proved you were married to her. There was no way around this - no amount of argument, cajoling or offers of big tips would help.

Part of the Oriental's policy has been old-fashioned snobbery and a conservative take on personal morals, but it has a practical purpose as well. Because of the number of foreign dignitaries that stay at the Oriental during trips to Thailand, the hotel has to maintain tight security. They can't allow guests to bring anyone they like back to their rooms. And if the Oriental started stationing security guards at the elevators or stairways to collect girls' IDs, it would detract from the hotel's image. Moreover, many of the farang guests at the Oriental, whether business or leisure travelers, have chosen the Oriental because it is "immune" from the Bangkok P4P scene. They'd be quite angry if TGs started popping up in the halls of the Oriental.

So tell me, alphamale, how has the Oriental handled this revolutionary shift in policy? Can you register together with a TG to whom you're not married? Is the hotel collecting IDs from TGs? I don't believe for one second a guest can simple stroll into the Oriental with a TG on his arm and take her up to his room without a major negative response from the staff of the Oriental.

EP

:devil:

Evel_Penivel said:
alphamale said:
buffalo_bill said:

Yes you can take your GF there and your GF can take you there. Or you can both go on your own.

That would be news indeed - the Oriental has become guest friendly! No argument that it is one of the greatest hotels in the world, perhaps the greatest, but it has also always been one of the most guest unfriendly establishments in the history of commercial hospitality.

But it's been 10 years since I stayed there and five since heard any credible first-hand stories, so I can't really refute what alphamale is saying. In the past, it was totally impossible to bring a Thai lady back to your room. You couldn't even register together with a Thai lady unless you could show documents that proved you were married to her. There was no way around this - no amount of argument, cajoling or offers of big tips would help.

Part of the Oriental's policy has been old-fashioned snobbery and a conservative take on personal morals, but it has a practical purpose as well. Because of the number of foreign dignitaries that stay at the Oriental during trips to Thailand, the hotel has to maintain tight security. They can't allow guests to bring anyone they like back to their rooms. And if the Oriental started stationing security guards at the elevators or stairways to collect girls' IDs, it would detract from the hotel's image. Moreover, many of the farang guests at the Oriental, whether business or leisure travelers, have chosen the Oriental because it is "immune" from the Bangkok P4P scene. They'd be quite angry if TGs started popping up in the halls of the Oriental.

So tell me, alphamale, how has the Oriental handled this revolutionary shift in policy? Can you register together with a TG to whom you're not married? Is the hotel collecting IDs from TGs? I don't believe for one second a guest can simple stroll into the Oriental with a TG on his arm and take her up to his room without a major negative response from the staff of the Oriental.

EP

:devil:

I'm sorry but i dont have any experince of taking whores to the oriental nor am i privy to the orientals policys on the matter.

The poster asked if he could take his GF. Lots of people take their GFs and wives, thai and non-thai alike.

When my wife and i stay there we are just treated like regular guests checking in.

Archived