Banks begining to deny use of ATM overseas

unit731

NOTICE TO OUR CUSTOMERS PLANNING TO TRAVEL ABROAD.

"Because of the high incidence of identity theft and fraud committed overseas, (Bank Name) may deny ATM/Debit card transactions in certain foreign countries in order to protect our customers."

Got the above in with my monthly bank statement.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is your bank one of the huge corporation banks, by any chance? citibank, chase manhattan, BOA, etc?

all the more reason to do your banking with a credit union. everyone I have to deal with at my credit union, I know by face.

the woman who handles credit card/ATM fraud, I just e-mail her telling her that "for the next 9 months I'll be in thailand;" "now I'm in hawaii for two weeks," "now I'll be on the mainland US for two months", etc., and they know not to be suspicious of ATM withdrawals, purchases, etc.

try e-mailing a real person (assuming you could find one) at one of those huge corporation banks and telling them your travel plans, and expect them to care!

preahko

Yes, please provide the name of the bank, a PM is fine.

I haven't tried the ATM in BKK in several months as I have been using travellers checks (T/C), they get a better exchange rate and no 3% FTF (Foreign Transaction Fee).

I have used Citibank and Bank of America earlier this year, without problems.

American Express is pushing to use their "ATM" type T/C card but I have read too many horror stories with the card not being accepted and a pile of extra charges that you have to pay upon using the card, so I stay with the paper T/C.

I'd like to get $20,000 worth of traveller's checks for final payment of my house construction (I will be in Thailand July 13-23) but don't want to pay the 2% purchase fee. Where do you get you TT checks from?

a head's up regarding traveller's checks: I used to use them years ago before I found out how reliable ATMs were in thailand; I had this constant problem in both thailand and cambodia of people at banks and exchange windows telling me my signature which I signed in front of them did not match my signature on the checks or in my passport...

one time this guy made me sign three times on the on the back of the check before I signed the front. when he was finally satisfied with the back, he told me to sign the front. then the motherfucker refused to cash the traveller's check, saying it still didn't look "right"!! summoning up my best thai at the time, I managed to impress some women at a different bank and get them to cash it for me, even though it was already signed (and thus at most places, totally worthless!)

preahko

My only two options with the $20,000 is to wire it or TT's. I'd be too nervous carrying that much money and an ATM would take 40 days to withdraw that much money. I do have 3 debit cards, on different accounts but on two of them, the charge is $5.00 per transaction (bank of america). I can wire it for $30, so thats probably what I'll do.

Original Post.

The bank is a local bank. Not a mega bank.

The statement goes on to state:

"The list of countries affected is subject to change based on when we receive knowledge of the crimes. Customers who are planning a trip abroad should call our Customer Service Center at (number) prior to departure to find out if their country of destination is on the list"

I went to bank's website and there is no list posted.

Archived