Banks begining to deny use of ATM overseas

unit731

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bank.

Local small 4 branch bank. North America.

I telephone customer service. They did not know what I was talking about. They had to ask internally. This is when they came back with the three countries mentioned above.

Just checking if this is just a local thing or a wider trend.

Goodness - like trying to pull teeth to get that answer, and we still only have you down to North America!

:yikes:

You should be a politician or lawyer :)

Why the secrecy about the bank name/country?

Anyhow, just to throw in my 2 cents, I always get calls from my USA credit card companies when I charge in BKK, but have never gotten a call from a bank.

Worth monitoring, though, as global ATMs are now the main way to access money abroad for many people.

Yes, it is like pulling teeth.

Name, rank, and serial number. That's it.

But it is not your bank as I know everyone here who travels to Taiwan (Thailand) as all here are geographically challenged.

After my trips, I always get the question from someone local who asks: "Why do you travel to Taiwan?".

One thing, you have a limit as to how much money you can carry into Thailand, like $10K???

Yes, a lot of signing to cash $20K in T/Cs. I have had to sign checks several times but now when I get T/C issued, the scribble my signature and do the same when I cash in Thailand. The bank I go to knows me as I have been going there for 10+ years, but get the occasional hassle.

I have sent bank checks to Thailand some years back (5+) but they usually took about three weeks to clear, but an easy/quick way to get money here and into an account.

If you can open an account here and wire xfer the $$$ in, that would be a nice option. I have wire xfr'd money here before and it works fine.

With the USD so low (38.415) you might wait and earn a few extra baht once (if) the USD gets stronger.

Cheers! ::

cavanami said:

My bank, back in the USA. I have a "special" account there where I can get free T/Cs, as long as I keep like a $10K balance in the account.

Bank Financial, Chicago area. (www.bankfinancial.com).

Maybe other banks do the same in the USA?

Commerce Bank in NY & NJ give free Amex Trav Checks for customers over 55 years old.

Archived