Banks begining to deny use of ATM overseas

unit731

I had this constant problem in both thailand and cambodia of people at banks and exchange windows telling me my signature which I signed in front of them did not match my signature on the checks or in my passport...

I started having this problem about a year ago in Thailand (BKK), dunno if they do it just to be annoying, but it works as it IS annoying as I am now neevr sure that I can cash a T/c.

I Never liked using ATMS (in addition to the fraud probs), cos I DO tend to treat them like free money when drinking............

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 years later...

Havent had any problems with my CBA card (Maestro), with the exception of a single 'ATM lobby' in KL where several of the machines spat it out despite having 'Maestro' emblazoned on the front.

My debit card insists on a 4-digit code randomly generated by a 'clacker' I need to take everywhere with me - its the PIN scanners here in Oz that tend to worry me more than anything I've run into OS.

try e-mailing a real person (assuming you could find one) at one of those huge corporation banks and telling them your travel plans, and expect them to care!

I ran into this a few years ago. I had to make a couple of phone calls back to the States to sort it out. Since then, part of my pre-LOS preparation is to telephone call my banks to tell them when I plan to be in LOS, and which cards I expect to use, and I have had no problems at all.

The banks in question are Chase and Bank of America. Not exactly small.

from an english point of view i get very nervous about using my visa card in thailand.

i prefer to leave my cash in the bank and withdraw at an ATM whenever the need arises,normally daily.

in the uk not a problem if i need a little cash as ATM's are abundant in most built up places.

the same can be said of thailand as ATM's are everywhere but at the moment i am worried.

i travel to thailand in less than 3 weeks with a card that has never been used outside the uk and i have had bad experiences in the past.

ATM's not accepting my card and i have had to ring home and arrange transfer of cash to a thai bank.

money there the next day but a real pain having to make calls and wait for return calls giving me the address of a certain bank where i can pick up my cash.

i will take enough cash to last 4-5 days and see what happens when i get there,at least i will have time to arrange other alternatives if i'm in a spot of bother.

i travel to thailand in less than 3 weeks with a card that has never been used outside the uk and i have had bad experiences in the past.

ATM's not accepting my card and i have had to ring home and arrange transfer of cash to a thai bank.

money there the next day but a real pain having to make calls and wait for return calls giving me the address of a certain bank where i can pick up my cash.

i will take enough cash to last 4-5 days and see what happens when i get there,at least i will have time to arrange other alternatives if i'm in a spot of bother.

The ATM problem should be easily fixed, but before you leave UK. Contact your ATM card issuer and advise them that you will be in Thailand between certain dates and will need to use your card. It will typically be blocked if they see a change to the regular pattern of usage until you confirm it is okay. Forewarned is foreskinned

Archived