best condo option?

junglesoup

I m just musing over some options as regards the purchasing of a condo in Bangkok.

My query is this. If I was buying a condo in Bangkok, woukd it be better to buy a 2 bedroom rather than a one bedroom?

OK, I know a 2 bedroom is going to be more expensive,but I was thinking I could rent the room out to someone else.

Is it hard to find someone to share with in BKK? A western person.

Of course a one bedroom will do for just me, but it will always be a one bderoom. At least a two bedroom will give me the option of a spare room, and renting possibilities.

I think a 2 bedroom would be better. However I was just wondering has anyone else got any experience of making these kind of decisions?

Does anyone have an opinion or guidance about this?

I m not interested in the debate about to buy or not to buy in BKK or the risks of buying cos I ve looked at this by myself, but just purely whats the better option, 1 or 2 bedrooms.

Thanks in a advance.

Chris

Typically prices are based on square meters of floor space, which is based on the area you get it in. If you buy a new unit from a developer (not second hand) and it's over 3m baht, you can get a 1 year investment visa that is renewable every year. In the city center condo's are 70K baht/sqm as far as I have seen.

Bunking sounds difficult; what if one or the other finds a nice girl and wants some privacy?

Chris

You need to ask yourself this:-

Do you really need the rental money

Do you want to live with a stranger

Will you be having friends to stay on a regular basis if you don't rent.

A 2 bed usually has better resale potential (UK) but perhaps in BKK a 1 bed in the farang market might do just as well.

Personally I would go for a 2 bed if affordable.

Do you really want a stranger as a roomate?

I did this, but not in LOS. Rented room to friend. When he lost his employment he stopped paying rent. And by the time I got him out he owed me about US $2,500.00. It was somewhat difficult to get him out. I got promise after promise. Business scheme after busines scheme - for his promises of employment. None developed.

And in the end, you become the bad guy.

I never got the money.

My guess is that a 2 bedroom is better than a one bedroom. But I know of expats living in an efficiency (no bedroom) and are quite happy.

Buy 2 condos and rent 1 out. :tophat:

Well . . . being a landlord for 20+ years. It ain't no picknik.

I have heard every excuse under the sun. And in the end, you become the assh*le for trying to collect the rent on time.

And talk about slobs. Filth. Not all, mind you. But many. And the damage to the property is common. And no, they did not do it. Someone else did it. Did I mention pets?

I could go on but enough . . .

theres always the deposit :nono:

Hmmm. . . yes, there are good tenants. And they cause no harm.

The bad ones . . . well, the deposit never covers the damage and filth.

Here's one. Tenant ran out of propane. Got propane. Then went to basement to light pilot. Well . . . the furnace has electronic ignition (no pilot) and tenant ruined the furnace. Cracked the heat exchanger among other damage to furnace. Sorry, but the deposit don't even come close to fixing that one.

Yes, there is legal action one can take. And even winning this legal action, no money is collected. To collect the money, one has to go back to court and file for a judgement to pay the money for the first legal action. Ya, this is real easy.

And there are others. One's enough for today.

Archived