Longest walk you have done in Bangkok

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On my first trip I did an afternoon walk from about Soi 1 to near Ekkamai station AND back - must have been crazy. Can?t recall how many hours it took, but thought for sure I was going to die from heat stroke when I finally made it back to my hotel shortly before dark!

Guess the second longest one was from the Pattaya bus terminal (yeah, I know the post said BKK) to my hotel not far from Walking Street, and it was in July!!! I think that one definitely establishes that I am indeed mad and should be institutionalized. :redflag: ::

ST

soi 1 to thong lo, many times...soi rangnam (victory monument) to lower suk...

once with a friend touring ayutthya temples, walked 5 miles (and he was well over 60!!)...

mind you, none of these distances phaze me when I'm in the US, where it's very easy to walk...while living in seattle I walked a minimum of 2 miles a day, an average of probably 5, and quite often 10. ah, those were the days...

there are, alas, so many days not to walk in BKK...the fact that you're dripping with sweat when you reach your destination, not to mention grimy from all the pollution, and for me (almost 2 meters tall, 6'4"), dodging signs sticking out from the shops...not to mention dodging motorcycles on the sidewalks, and cars coming out of every soi and sub-soi...

preahko

I have no doubt that the "Longest" ...and Most Painful walk I have ever done, was last Tuesday....

Walking from Immigration....to the Departure gate.....

All those rude and inconsiderate other passengers....I HATE THEM....

You'd think they had never seen a grown man howling before.

:grinyes::yeahthat::grinyes:

I walk 100 times more in BKK than at home ,

At home I walk out to my car ")

Here is all over the place , hours sometimes just looking around.

At home we laugh that if you took us the same distance from home and made us walk back , as we would walk at a normal swap meet , we would think you were crazy,

as long as there is something to look at then walking is not too boring.....

OC

My first trip to bangkok, and my 2nd day in town, we went to a Thai friends house.

Mate who was showing me Thailand was a teetotler, so he had me bring a bottle of scotch and 6 tallies of Heiniken.

In those days I could drink more than I do now.

I had been working with japanese and made the mistake that night thinking that Thais would not be able to hold there booze.

After a party of 3 blokes and the Thai's wife, we had drunk a bottle of scotch, sent out for more beer, and had started drinking thai whisky.

Midnight I gave up, a Sunday, no skytrain then, but a traffic jam from Suk 101 all the way back to nana.

Stop start stop start in the taxi for the first 100 m's and I was out of the taxi spewing.

When drunk I find walking the only way to clear my head, so I walk. traffic jam moves forward, taxi catches up to me, I get back into the taxi where my mate is sitting in the back seat laughing.

another 100 m;s I am out again spewing, walk 100 m's, back in taxi, out of taxi.

All the way back to the nana, took hours, I must have walked about 1/3 of the way, but in stops, spews and starts!

2nd night in Bangkok ever, what a night!

short-time's quote:

[color:"red"]"On my first trip I did an afternoon walk from about Soi 1 to near Ekkamai station AND back - must have been crazy. Can?t recall how many hours it took, but thought for sure I was going to die from heat stroke when I finally made it back to my hotel shortly before dark!"[color:"black"]

In the states I live in the desert ans used to go to the mountains every once in a while for a full day hike. So I have gotten sed to a degree the heat. 105-118 fahrenheit doesn't bother, what bothers me is the humidity.

Nit Noi.....

Fron Thai Airways on Sliom up to past Patpong Rama 4 to Wireless over to Phloenchit and then back up to MBK....BTW, I walk about 6-8 Km per day .... In Patong Up Soi Sea Pearl and on to Soi Sai Nam Yen to Nanai Rd..Across Nanai to Prachanukhro down to Beach Road and the back to Soi Sea Pearl (Sawatdirak). That will dump the beer out real quick!

Archived