Longest walk you have done in Bangkok

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My longest death march consisted of leaving my apartment near Phrakanong about 5 am, walking down Rama 4 to Lumpini Park, and strolling around the park for about an hour observing the exercise groups and water monitors.

I then took the elevated walkway across the expressway to Queen Sirikit Park on Asoke, walked through the Klong Toei Market, then out to the Klong Toei Port area.

I then walked through the Klong Toei slum neighborhoods just south of the expressway, and was lost for about 20 minutes until I found a way back across under the expressway so I could get back to Rama 4 and my apartment.

About 3 and 1/2 hours, and several litres of perspiration. The dogs (my feet) barked at me for several days after subjecting them to the Klong Toei death march.

I walked from Sukhumvit 20 to Soi 4, thinking about business ideas and looking at possible locations for new businesses.

At Soi 4, I was about to collapse with heat fatique. I went into Morning Night to get a cold drink.

I chatted to the bar-girl but explained that I liked shorter girls. So she called over her friend . . .

That was a couple of years ago. Now I'm married to 'her friend' and we have a baby son and new business in Phuket.

Looking back on this, that was a worthwhile walk!!

Simon

• 4 years later...

I used to do a lot of walking when I was younger and not as lazy. I'd take the train from up north to Hua Lampong and then walk to Petchburi Road, where I always stayed in the little Opera Hotel, near today's Panthip Plaza. It was always very early in the morning - usually before sunrise - and wasn't yet so hot.

In the late '80s, I worked on Soi Chidlom, almost opposite Central Dept Store. Traffic got so bad that nothing moved! I got off work at 4.30pm but simply couldn't get home for hours. A few times I walked from Soi Chidlom to Victory Monument, where I could catch a bus, but that was too hot a walk to do regularly. I fell into the routine of walking from Soi Chidlom to Patpong and having dinner at the Thai Room. Then I'd belt back a few in a go-go bar until traffic had thinned down to wear I could finally get home. I was usually arriving home about 8pm or later. That drove me to leave LOS form a number of years. The traffic had made the city unliveable. And yes - it was much worse than now!

Hi,

Guess my longest walk wasn't that bad comparatively.

Was on a bus on Sukhumvit during my first long term stay in Thailand ('95). Traffic was bad, but when the bus driver got out to eat some food at the side of the road my friend and I decided it was probably quicker to just walk.

We walked from soi 38 to soi 8. It was after dark though, so heat wasn't too bad.

Sanuk!

Archived