Longest walk you have done in Bangkok

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because of all the crap in the air here, I wonder whether walking long distances in Bangkok does more harm than good. I'll run 6-8 K in Lumphihin in the early evening on the theory that the air is relatively cleaner, but I am not sure if I am just fooling myself.

I have heard the level particulates underneath BTS stations and bridges is dangerously high. Having said all of this, I regularly walk from Thonglor to Asoke and have walked from the bottom of Sathorn to where Ekamai meets Petchaburi - in what passes for the cool season here.

Because of all the crap in the air here, I wonder whether walking long distances in Bangkok does more harm than good. I'll run 6-8 K in Lumphihin in the early evening on the theory that the air is relatively cleaner, but I am not sure if I am just fooling myself.

I have heard the level particulates underneath BTS stations and bridges is dangerously high. Having said all of this, I regularly walk from Thonglor to Asoke and have walked from the bottom of Sathorn to where Ekamai meets Petchaburi - in what passes for the cool season here.

The air in BKK is extremely bad. I would never do outdoor sports there. I don't know if it got better in recent years, but during my first visit to BKK in 2003 got problems with my lungs and began to cough after walking more than 15 min..

PS: A decade ago I tried jogging in Tokyo, but after three days I had to give up after three days, because my lungs protested. Anyway, I wouldn't jog in my home town in Germany neither, except along the Rhine river which is close to my apartment, which seems to have much better air.

TH, thanks for the tip glad simon is doing great & maybe I should 'get out' a bit more myself too ;)

mind you my own trek from bkk to samut prakan (cross provinces!) was night time too - helps a lot with the heat or at least sun exposure :)

maybe I'll try bkk -> nonthaburi next time!!

cheers!

Walked from Soi 22 to On Nut, then back. Wouldnt do it in hot weather, but it was reasonable in May-June last year.

While it wasnt the 'longest' in terms of distance, staggering from Soi 4 to Soi 22 when hammered is far worse than any other bipedal adventure I have had in Thailand. Throw in the plane flight back to Oz later that day and its a formula for 36-hours-you-will-want-to-forget.

Archived