Longest walk you have done in Bangkok

I don't know if it got better in recent years, but during my first visit to BKK in 2003 got problems with my lungs and began to cough after walking more than 15 min.
The New York Times ran an article a few years back saying the air quality had improved in Bangkok, but I noticed they were quite careful to avoid saying the air quality was good. I will try to find the article since it compared the level of particulates in the air in varies cities. I am doing this from (my always fallible) memory, but I am pretty sure the article also said the level of particulates in Bangkok fell dramatically as you got further away from congested streets, meaning the pollution was mostly generated from automobiles rather than factories.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just did US Embassy on Wireless to Suk soi 31. The very pleasant weather today, plus this thread, encouraged it.

My longest walk would have to have been Asoke-Suk to Thonglor-Klong Saen Seab. Although I reckon that some of my strolls through old neighborhoods like Chinatown, walking up and down block after block may actually have been more mileage :dunno: .

I don't know if it got better in recent years, but during my first visit to BKK in 2003 got problems with my lungs and began to cough after walking more than 15 min.
The New York Times ran an article a few years back saying the air quality had improved in Bangkok, but I noticed they were quite careful to avoid saying the air quality was good. I will try to find the article since it compared the level of particulates in the air in varies cities. I am doing this from (my always fallible) memory, but I am pretty sure the article also said the level of particulates in Bangkok fell dramatically as you got further away from congested streets, meaning the pollution was mostly generated from automobiles rather than factories.

There was a dramatic improvement in Bangkok's air when city buses and most cars switched to LPG. Remember the buses that belched out thick clouds of black filth that made you choke when they passed by? That is thankfully gone. It is still a far cry from the beautifully clear air of the 1970s and early '80s, but at least we can breathe without choking and gasping nowadays.

I just did US Embassy on Wireless to Suk soi 31. The very pleasant weather today, plus this thread, encouraged it.

My longest walk would have to have been Asoke-Suk to Thonglor-Klong Saen Seab. Although I reckon that some of my strolls through old neighborhoods like Chinatown, walking up and down block after block may actually have been more mileage :dunno: .

That's encouraging, you've got me thinking exercise now...

I used to walk from my apartment near the night bazaar down rama 4 to asoke up to soi cowboy down sukhumvit to nana, look at the goods, head further down nana to wireless rd, pass lumpin and then cut over to pat pong...every night of the week.

I once walked from patpong to on nut and back.

Archived