Mr. Chuwit / Soi 10

Mentors

Who owns Cpmpany A?

Just as in many other and more developed countries too, if you're rich enough you can do whatever you want - if you can afford the best lawyers at least and Chuwit can.

Actually I like Chuwit and have met him once.

It was an early morning raid, pure and simple. There was no due process at all. By law, if Chuwit wanted them off he had to go to court and get an order confirming his ownership and giving them proper notice -- and time -- to remove their property and vacate the premises. Instead, the Gestapo like raid took place.

Notice that there was a internet cafe -- and all of the PCs were removed before demolition. The same happened with belongings in other businesses. (There was a laundromat and a travel agency.) That was out and out robbery.

As to the "beautiful park", remember that Chuwit wanted to build a hotel on the site, since Bangkok has such a serious shortage of hotel rooms. If you look at the park, you'll see that the rear of the property is undeveloped. It would be quite easy some time down the road to build a hotel back there and use the "park" as the landscaped access area.

TIT

Old Hippie said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think the occupants were ever given any due process, or the offer of refunds on their prepaid leases. As I understand it, the bulldozing was pretty much un expected...

yes, they did it without warning in advance.

On that time i have listen from tenants that somebody (!?) don't want that the Royal Family must see beer-bars while driving (often) down the Sukhumvit Road. (same about the Clinton Plaza demolition).

But i'm not shure if this is true.

As I recall, the victims were offered 10,000 baht to sign an agreement not to press charges. They all rejected it, stating they had over 1,000,000 baht each involved in their businesses.

Seems they had indeed been paying rent, but not to the actual owner - which they did not realise.

Something similar happened to an ex-colleague, who wondered why he was getting very nasty looks from his neighbour. Then his landlord finally told him that he had sold the house to the neighbour 6 months earlier! He just hadn't bothered to inform the renter and kept accepting the rent.

::

I aprticularly like this bit:

>The incident took place during darkness and it was impossible to identify who carried out the demolition, the court said.

..which seems to give free licence to *any* form of criminal activity after 7.30 pm at night. "But it was dark your honour, and citing the precedence in the Chewit case, its *impossible* to identify people at night...."....

-j-

Quote:

"I wasunder the impression many of the demolition crew were arrested at the sight... "

This was almost like a military operation. Each building was broken into, if people were inside, they were ordered to leave. Then the building was buldozed over.

At the same time, a cement perimeter was put up, keeping anybody from entering.

Before people realized what had happened, the buildings had all been seached and bulldozed and the parameter was just about fully built. Even a gate was built and fitted with a proper padock.

Something similar happened to an ex-colleague, who wondered why he was getting very nasty looks from his neighbour. Then his landlord finally told him that he had sold the house to the neighbour 6 months earlier! He just hadn't bothered to inform the renter and kept accepting the rent. "

Really?? Amazing Thailand...What a place....