Dennis' testimonial

limbo

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

saw a replay of the testimonial. made me a little teary eyed i must admit. the club wil miss him and english football will miss him. impressed with van bastens touch, he still has one.

the stadium looks great. the pitch seems bigger, which should work to our benefit. i just hope it doesn't take the players long to regard it as a home fortress like highbury was.

...... the stadium looks great. the pitch seems bigger, which should work to our benefit......

But will the ground staff be able to maintain the pitch as well as they did at Highbury. The Highbury pitch was the best in the premiership, always in fantastic condition, which was great for Arsenals on the ground style of play. I've no doubt that the head groundsman is very good at his job but I also believe that the low stadium at Highbury meant less shadow on the pitch and therefore more sunlight which promoted good growth. Presumably Ashburton Grove won't benefit from this?

Arsenals groundman is the best in Europe,if not the world. he is an expert and perfectionist. Already its been said that the new pitch is even better than highbury.

goodbye to Dennis Bergkamp. What a genius? Even the most hardened Spurs fan has to admit he was pure class.

I ve been to see Arsenal alot but never saw him score at a game,however these goal i think were unbelievable and could be scored by no one else:

1) Bergkamps hatrick against Leicester in august 1997/98 season

2) Goal in FA Cup against Sunderland at Roker park, 1997 I think.

3) 2 goals against Southhampton 1997/98.

4) Newcastle goal at Saint James park. It was so good that the commentators weren't sure if he had even meant to do it.

5) Goal against England for Holland when G Taylor was manager.

6)Goal against Argentina.

I m sure there are many more.

There no other player really that can score goals like Bergkamp. Thats amazing. As Alan Hansen said about 3 of Begkamp goals "no other player could score a goal like that"

and," I never seen a player with so much technical ability"

Sadly missed.

He's the only EPL player that ever had the top 3 spots in goal of the month.

#4 is an absolute classic, one to put in a frame and hang above your bed!

#6 was amazing as well, another one never to forget. Especially since it meant we'd proceed to the next round!

probably the Official Arsenal Website....... :clown:

i expect it looks stunning now but so do most pitches.

but the proof will come after a couple of Weeks of rain and a few games in the Winter and then the freezing.

most pitches begin to suffer then.

Arsenals groundman is the best in Europe' date='if not the world. he is an expert and perfectionist. Already its been said that the new pitch is even better than highbury.

[/quote']

Enlighten us, who is saying this?

Want to know who is saying it? Arsenal Best Groundsman

Of course you will find it on the Arsenal news website. But you will find it many other places.

Follow this link, and it becomes official. Not just a self-awarded title. Arsenals groundsman is officially the best. The sunlight has nothing to do with it,because they have technology that can create the weather which is optimum to the best pitch and Arsenals new stadium has it. They say the grass will and is better than Highburys. Also it will be maintained throughout the season.

It puts the other pitches in the Premiership to shame, especially the big clubs like Chelsea and MAn U.

Chelsea kept their pitch like a ploughed field last Season because they thought it would be to their advantage.

Man Utd have had a dodgy pitch since the rebuilding and the height of the stands.

but i was at OT in Feb and the pitch was immaculate because of improvements to drainage and careful nurturing.

i'm not doubting that the Groundsman at Arsenal is not of the highest quality.

no Club will keep someone who cannot do his job.

but his reputation was earned at Highbury.

is his Name Steve Austin by any chance...we have the technology to do this and do that.

i don't know anything about what the Arse are doing at Arse Grove but i doubt they can recreate accurate weather systems.

no-one will know what will happen until the Winter and bad weather arrives.

Junglesoup,

Great article.

Problem is tho, that a lot of stadiums have picth problems due to the high walls around the pitch.

Perfect example is Ajax A*dam, first team in Europe to use a dome, but within a few years theyw ent through 30+ pitches!

My team Vitesse Arnhem, had the second dome in Europe and they developed a technique that the pitch can roll out of the satdium, better for the grass and especially when there's mega events in the stadium, the pitch doesn't get trashed, even with protective layers covering the pitch.

This idea hasd been duplicated in a few German stadiums now.

PSV never could close the gaps between the corner stands of their stadiums, to increase seat numbers, due to wind coming into through those gaps and helping the pitch to stay in shape. AFAIK, only very recently they found a way to get around this.

Well, let's hope Paul's got it right! The lightning systems reminds me of some home grown ideas....................

Archived