Nikon D50 - Recommended Dealer in BKK?

Straycat

Gentlemen

I have decided to not analyze this further but to just go buy the Nikon D50 (Kit version). Now, where can I possibly find the best/better deal on this one in Bangkok.

FotoFile in MBK sell the Nikon D50 kit for 29 000 Baht, including a 1 GB SD card. Granted I don't know anything on SD-card prices in Thailand, but isn't this price a wee bit steep?

I reckon something around 25 K Baht would fit nicely.

Any recommended shops?

Hi Straycat,

if I compare with the prices in Sweden the price you got seems normal. In Thailand there're less price variations than in most other countries - instead you can normally get a bigger SD or 2 instead of one.

Don't forget the import tax, usually the prices for imported things are higher in Thailand than in Sweden, but 20-30 % lower in the US than Sweden. Dubai, HK and Singapore can be cheaper than USA.

Gentlemen

FotoFile in MBK sell the Nikon D50 kit for 29 000 Baht, including a 1 GB SD card.

My reference point is US street prices so in that context there are no deals on cameras in Bangkok. You can get the D50 kit for half that price. Don't you know anyone who can drop one in a suitcase and bring it to LOS so your wallet can be 10,000 or 15,000 baht thicker?

http://www.bananaboatcamera.com/nikond50kit.html

And FYI, 1GB memory cards of that size are 700 baht items in the US.

But if you absolutely must buy in Bangkok, you'll have to pay the price that comes with it I am afraid.

Neo,

I absolutely agree with you on all points.

However, you must understand that I am from a country that where most electronic equipment (but not all), if bought in person from a retail store, is even more expensive than in Thailand.

It is probably possible for me to let someone buy the Nikon D50 kit in the U.S. and ship it to me. However, I don't find it's worth the hassle (and ultimately 10 or 15 K Baht here or there does not break my bank and makes no difference to my time spent in Thailand).

Elef,

Just as a side note. Many Nikons are actually manufactured in Thailand. Technically, there shouldn't be import tax.

Archived