Man Accused of Shoving Phone Down Throat

Guy Himmaparn

From Associated Press

July 26, 2006 11:41 AM EDT

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - Prosecutors say a man shoved a cell phone down his girlfriend's throat because he was angry and jealous. But defense attorneys insisted as a trial got underway that the woman swallowed the phone intentionally to keep the defendant from seeing whom she had been calling.

Marlon Brando Gill, 24, is charged with first-degree assault in the December incident involving 25-year-old Melinda Abell.

Abell has given inconsistent accounts of what happened before she was taken to a hospital, where an emergency room doctor removed the phone.

She testified Tuesday on the first day of Gill's trial that she couldn't remember how the phone got in her throat, saying she had too much to drink that night.

She said in court that she could not recall writing a statement to police after the incident, in which she said: "I think he thought I'd been talking to other guys. ... He took my phone to see who I had been calling."

The statement added: "If I didn't want him to see my phone, I would have just thrown it out the window and busted it."

Much of her testimony centered on her relationship with Gill, of Kansas City, which started in 2004.

"It was good at first, then it got rocky," Abell said.

She testified that he had verbally and physically abused her, but under cross-examination she acknowledged she never told police about the abuse and continued to live with Gill until the cell phone incident.

Small phone or big mouth?

Living in Kansas City, this is the top story on the local T.V. news. Originally, he was Marlon Gills but when his middle name was found out, the news jumped on it. They have shown a picture od the x-ray of her throat and it clearly shows the phone. When they show it again tomarrow, I'll try to see what brand it is.

A mis-trail was declared today, with 9 voting for acquital and 3 voting to convict. The defense claimed the lady stuck the phone in her mouth to hide it from Gills, who wanted to know who she was talking to. I think it sunk the prosecution's case when the defendant said she was too drunk to remember anything about the evening. The prosecution promised to re-try Gills.

Archived