R&R in Cambodia?

I'm coming to LOS July 1, and I'm a little bit interested in going to Phnom Penh for a while. Can anyone recommend a not too expensive hotel and give a few pointers on what to look out for? Where to go for some fun with the ladies? Are the streets safe, should I try to find a reliable Cambodian driver to guide me?

I'll be grateful for any information to help me avoid the worst pitfalls.

I stayed in guest houses while I was there and had a crazy time in P.P. You will ove it there. as long as you use you head you will be fine and have no worries. Try the weed pizza's they are good fun. I would suggest getting a motorcycle taxi driver while you are there. He will take you around all day and night for something like 10 dollors (we'll that's my cousin and I paid a day for the guy we had) he was a great bloke and showed us the best spots for history i.e. 'killing fields', SU21, etc and for sanuk. We treated him occasionally.

take a look at Stickman's report.

Mr.H

[

You don't really need a driver , moto's are everywhere but going very far on some of those roads with no helmet is a bit daft IMO esp as the health care is said to be poor. For $20 a day you can get a bloke to drive you anywhere you like, this is what I did his nane is prem prey email khloksovuthy@hotmail.com very nice polite guy , will pick you up at the airport. -peter

Cambodian driver to guide me?

I'll be grateful for any information to help me avoid the worst pitfalls.[/QB]

Lucky's story about Cambodia is wonderful and full of helpful information. Me thinks a detour from my usual haunts in LOS is in order! Cheers. Chicago Dave

Jaje - Yes to Martinis.

It's a good-sized complex with 3 different areas. All are full of girls. Some girls are aggressive, much more so than LOS. Looking from the parking there is a disco on the right, a dance floor with DJ in the middle and an open-air bar on the left with a movie screen. I started in the middle. As soon as I sat down at a table three Chinese girls joined me. Two sat down on my left and one on the right. Had me pined in.

Each insisted that they would be the one I was going to take out. They were average looking and at least two of them spoke good English. They could have been fun, but I wasn't really interested in any of them. I kept saying no politely and tried to ignore them, not so easy. Sat there listening to their pitch while I sipped my beer. Eventually the one on the right left allowing me to get up.

Went to the open-air bar next. Wove my way through many tables and took a seat facing the screen with my back to the bar and most of the patrons. I wanted a few minutes to myself, but not to be. I heard this voice from behind say "do you want a young girl?" Of course I did, but was put off by my last encounter, so said no without turning around. I did see the leg of an older lady, so just waved my hand for her to go away. Again, "Do you want a young girl?" I guess she wasn't going away, so I turned around.

Wow!!! Standing next to a well-dressed mamasan was a pretty Chinese girl in the brightest red and white candy-striped dress I had every seen. My eyes bugged out. I invited them to sit at my table. The girl sat next to me but didn't speak English so I talked with the mamasan. I held the girl's hand while we completed the transaction. They were from Vietnam on their way to Thailand. Yes, she said, the girl was over 18. The mamasan spoke excellent English and I enjoyed talking with her. She said it was customary to give her a small payment (must have been 2 or 3 dollars) to seal the deal. I was to give the girl whatever I felt she was worth in the morning.

I parted with the girl to a taxi I had waiting for me. Arrived back at the hotel for a fun filled night. We parted after morning breakfast at the hotel buffet. I'm sure the two of us made quite a site for the other travelers. I gave her the going rate in Thailand, which was more than the $20.00 mentioned in the other post.

I think it is time for a return trip.

Thank you for all the info. I must say it did whet my appetite. (Even though another friend living in Pattaya warned me about a high rate of HIV. He also said the streets are not safe.)

Jaje

Archived