Leather Helmut

Guest HonoluluJimmy

Wore these in junior high and high school. They were used for practice though, not in actual games.

Amazing some of the old stuff the school gyms still had in use, even in the sixties. Used to wrestle on the old canvas and horsehair stuffed rassling mats. Christ, the mat-burns these used to leave on one!

Same for the old leather boxing gloves the Boys Club used back then. You'd have glove rash burns on your cheeks all the time, and they were rough enough that we'd deliberately use the gloves to cause pain by rubbing them viciously anywhere you could on your opponent when clenching! :grin:

The 'good' old days!

Cent

Bada,

Nah, not that old! But, the equipment for sports in my old schools were leftovers from the 30's, 40's and 50's for the most part. I think some of the equipment we were using at times was used by my uncles when they were in the same schools before the second world war! :smirk: (We did have newer 'game' helmets for the games, but the old leather helmets were used quite a lot for practice sessions, the coach not wanting the mewer ones to get fucked up for 'just' practices.)Not much money being invested back then in the sports and gym areas of the public schools. It got better the last couple of years in high school and the money started to be spent, as this equipment was just too worn and used by then and needed replacing. Also, the Boy's Clubs back then were barebones budgeted really, and they got much use by many kids. Hell, the guy teaching boxing back then used to fight with my grandfather when they were young! I think the gloves they had were just as old! :shocked::D

Cent

Archived