Shootings on Samui

limbo

Sorry Topcatta, it must have been someone else with the same sign in name "Topcatta"..

Yes me been going to Thailand and the islands since 1991. Seen alot of changes country wide, Full moon party has definately changed for the worse in more ways than worth writing about..

A shame that it gets worse everytime in there..

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i gotta say i was pretty disappointed with Samui....lots of crime, very little policing, it's alledged to be controlled by a certain group, well a lot of it anyway...drugs offered on the beach, hard sell to tourists 24/7.....and i didn't like the 'beer boy' crowd there.

Maybe next time i go, i'll try to stay away from the tourist zones, but so much of the island is developed now with all the 'luxury' villas etc, where is left to experience the real paradise island that it once was? Limbo, any pointers?

Anywhere outside Chaweng and you're doing a lot better already.

The southern part of theisland is the least developed and has some beautifull scenery and beaches left.

A bit more developed is the northern part of Samui and still relatively close to Chaweng for a night of debauchery, if needed, although, even on the northern shores there are plenty of girly bars nowadays.

I've also always stayed in Lamai and it used to be my favourite place in whole Thailand. But a lot has changed during the years and now I'm not sure anymore if I wanna visit there again. Almost all my favourite places there have been demolished and the new version of Lamai is just too touristy. I've been visiting the island only for 6 years, can't imagine what yhe people who have been going there in the late 80's or early 90's feel about the place now :(

Feels terrible. I had such magical times there but non of the island places I used to hang out, do it for me anymore. Last trip I checked out national park islands that was better but the funky crowd is long gone or way too scattered around Thailand. But the national parks dont even have fish in them anymore, while all the tourist are so 'happy' about the marine life they saw. Like a handful of this or that...Plus the coral is at least 60% dead on the west side and at Koh PHangan it is really rare to see something (even when you go with a boat to quiet places...).

I miss those times.

I checked out Koh Lipeh and indeed found a bit of a Koh Phanganie atmosfeer cause there is no cars there only motobikes and it is still green with lovely white sand beaches but the ppl are all sharks. Asking exorbitant prices for food out of a can...The odd old/ex? hippie can be encountered there...But mostly cause he married a Thai...What happened with the hippies I have no clue. Maybe they lost their ideas and got into the hushhush money making thing and it was just a wild stage they went thru but that part of their life is over? Any old hippies out there? What you think? Partyguy?

Limbo no highrise in Chaweng? Maybe not super high rise but still high rise. Heaps of tall hotels there waayyy higher than coconut trees.

Archived