is there a good place for giclee printing in thailand?

dani305

hi

my topic concern giclee printing. giclee is a common name to a fine art inkjet prints in a top quality. i found very good artists in phnom penh and like to make a few prints from their work.

the printing cost is cheap in cambodia . and many "silk screen" shops have a good printer (most of them have the hp 5500ps) but i don't know about the quality of their work. giclee suppose to be a 100% copy of colors and the printer got to have a good eye for small color details,and most important- a good scanner, not one of those cheap scanners for home use.

did anyone try to do giclee in cambodia or thailand? if so, i can really use a name of a good place to do mine... right now i'm in pattaya

(found a few printers in the new shopping center in south pattaya road, only around 2000b for printing on 1m x 1m of canvas , but they all had a very basic scanner...)but have no problem to go to bangkok.

thanks,

dani

thanks SD.

i sent email to d-lab.

my main concern is if they have another decent scanner ,since i prefer them to scan my painting directly and not a file or a film of it.

the painting size is 65x48 cm ,so i don't think the Nikon Super CoolScan 8000ED could scan it.

since i intend to print on canvas and not paper, i have to choose doing inkjet giclee and not lightjet.

dani

The Nikon Super CoolScan 8000ED is a film scanner so this will not help you at all.

You have two problems. The first is finding a scanner that will scan your large pictuee. The other problem is that gilcee is more concerned with providing top quality color using an 8 color to 12 color (tank) inkjet printers.

If you check the resoulution of commerical gilcee shops, the images they used are in the order of 300 X 600 and 600 X 600 DPI.

Where the problem comes in with the scanner is when a picture is scanned in at 1200 X 1200 and then (as an example)the image is enlarged 4 times, this brings the resolution down to 300 X 300.

Now lets say you want to have done a 18" X 24" picture. If you have a picture done and the size is 18" X 24" your first problem will be is finding a scanner that can handle this size picture on its flatbead. So you decide to scan in an original picture that is 9" X 12". You scan the photo in at 1200 DPI . 9" X 12" at 1200 DPI produces a file that is 155520000 bytes big or 155 meg. In order to get the best picture available, you do not want to save using compression. This scan images will produce at 600 X 600 DPI on an 18" X 24" canvas.

NOTE: A 9" X 12" picture generates 155 meg file, a 18" X 24" file becomes 620 Meg!

If you have this work done in Thailand, it might be difficult for them to realize that you want to use a printer that has 8 to 12 different color tanks. To them, a 3 tank printer should be okay. Another problem is the time it will take to scan in an image at 1200 dpi. 155 meg can be extremely difficult to manage. They may decide on using 300 dpi. (farang stupid). Once the image is scanned in, they may decide to save it at a lower resolution. (same excuse, farang stupid). And/or save the image using compression.

If you can get it done in Thailand, you should have a real nice product!

Let me know what happens.

thanks for your wise remarks Bangkoktraveler.

i think i'll avoid the first problem (big enough scanner) by buying the new casio ex z1000 camera, it comes with 10 megapixel, and making photoes of my painting. about dealing with the thai stuff at the shop,i hope for the best, but i suspect that the fact they still did nor respond to my email, sent a week ago isprobably a bad sign.

• 3 weeks later...

Dani,

If you're really concerned with quality, maybe you want to look at using a different camera, rather then a zoomlens on a pocket Digital.

Find someone who uses a DSLR, preferably a full frame one such as the Canon 5D, and who has a decent quality 'prime' lens (E.g. on focal length like 50 mm, Not a zoom). that will give you a file that will blow up to 20x24' with no loss of definition, no distortion in the corners etc.

To buy, they're not cheap, but there are people around who own these things, (I see plenty of them around the necks of tourists), and I'm sure you could find someone who'd help you with it. Otherwise, maybe apro photographer can do it for you, shouldn't cost that much.

BTW Where are you based?

Archived