Is Jakarta worth a visit?

Belem

Long Gun

I have always liked Melawi I, with Deluxe rooms running at Rp 225,000/day nett. Ask for 608/ 609, or 610 and ensure you get a big bed and the AC is working. TVs are bad, but not much you can do about that.

Telephone 62-21-270-0408 and fax 270-0397.

Melawai II across the street is newer but prices I think the same.

Bank Bali across the street with an ATM but watch the traffic as buses have a counterflow lane.

Agree with Prosal’s comments about Bandung. I like the North Sea, but I have heard some negative comments about the talent and ability to get them into bed without romance. I haven’t been in 5 years so I can’t say what things are like now – it was OK then, but we needed a taxi driver to take us around and show us some of the less well-known joints and massage parlors.

You might check out www.delphi.com/sammyboy for some good info on Regional Sanuk from the Singaporean guys. They have good information there on Jakarta, Surabaya and elsewhere.

Gado Gado

Atlanta is in front of Lokasari Plaza, and as of a year ago was a kids/drug hangout. Can’t say now.

Never been down Wahid Hashim so cannot comment on the WSG note. Agree with Prosal, however, on this one. Plenty of good girls around so why try and get something so cheap? To each his own, however.

You can walk from TC to Sierra and Mawar Bintang. In fact, you might go to them first, as the street they are on is before Lokasari. As you are driving down Mangga Dua towards Lokasari Plaza, look for a small Olympic Hotel sign about 20 ft off the ground on a street pole. Turn left on that street and you’ll see Mawar Bintang (on your left) and Sierra (on the right). About 20-30 m past them you can enter the Lokasari Plaza car park, and TC is on the 2nd floor. Ask the Parkir’s outside – ‘de mana Lokasari Plaza?’ and they’ll direct you.

I’d meet the excite personals girls for a drink after work and before a dinner with the ‘big client’. Say, 1800 at BATs at the Shangri-La or HardRock, but make it clear you have a business dinner at 1930 so you have to leave at 1900. If you like the girl, you can take her along and your ‘big client’ mysteriously is a no-show. If you don’t like her, excuse yourself and say you’ll contact her next time in town. Why waste a whole dinner/evening with someone you might not even like?

Sonny

I’ll defer to Adik Gede on the tailor but I have never found one I like in jakarta, although I have not really tried as I am in Bangkok several times a year. Suggest Bangkok is a much better bet. You might try www. expat.or.id for some ideas.

As a general comment, Indonesia is a predominately Moslem country but it is a secular state and all religions are tolerated. Their adherence to Moslem principles is flexible and open, and I have never had a problem here by violating these principles. There are Arabs, but I have also never had any problem with them and I rarely see them in any of the places I mentioned in previous posts.

I find there are a large number of girls at many of the Expat places (Blok M, BATS, TigaPuluh, HardRock, etc) some are 7s/8s, others are 2s/3s (on a 1-10 scale, with 10 being the best). I also find Jakarta very up/down – you might go to HardRock one night and it will be dead, the next night there will be a bunch of good lookers. You never know.

Selamat datang dan menikmati.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long gun wrote...

" I would also like to take the train to Bandung for a few days and believe there is a decent little freelance scene there. Is it easy enough to navigate for the non-Bhasa speaking novice?

My experience in 2000 was that the town was ugly, police were sweeping the streets with hooker bars, the women in the brothel lanes were too shy to go with me, and a 'student' who asked me to help her with tuition never showed up after I gave her a (foolish) downpayment.

quote:

Originally posted by Maribayaman:

I have always liked Melawi I, with Deluxe rooms running at Rp 225,000/day nett. Ask for 608/ 609, or 610 and ensure you get a big bed and the AC is working. TVs are bad, but not much you can do about that.

** That will do me nicely for a couple of nights, thanks. I tried an e-mail address I got from the net but it bounced back - hotelmelawai@yahoo.com - don't suppose you have another?

You might check out
for some good info on Regional Sanuk from the Singaporean guys. They have good information there on Jakarta, Surabaya and elsewhere.

I really don't like that board at all. It's just a different attitude I suppose but I can't take all the sniggering and stupid slang they use. Surprisingly little on Jakarta too and what there is seems more about massage places which isn't my primary interest.

As for Bandung, I am seeing some terrifyingly attractive hotel offers - deluxe rooms in the Sheraton for about B1200 - the Presidential Suite in another place for about B2000 (The International Imperium - know anything?)!! I'm leaning towards an extra night there and treating myself a little - I'm normally a B400 man in Pattaya.

I also got an e-mail yesterday from a delightful girl I met in Jakarta last year

who sent me her new phone number. She's from Bandung so I might just have a couple of nights flying round Jakarta and then call her and take her with me to show me round Bandung.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for all your help so far. Anybody around for a beer or two 17-23 July?

LG

[ June 26, 2001: Message edited by: Long Gun ]

Longun

Yes,Sheraton is a very nice stylish resort,little bit out of town (10mn taxi),but with a nice atmosphere and views on some rice fields.I recommand it to you,if you go with you GF,and even if you're alone (the Fun Pub of the hotel is very good on week ends).I always stay there in Bandung (rate around 30$!),there's too much pollution downtown !

quote:

Originally posted by Prosal:

Longun

Yes,Sheraton is a very nice stylish resort,little bit out of town (10mn taxi),but with a nice atmosphere and views on some rice fields.I recommand it to you,if you go with you GF,and even if you're alone (the Fun Pub of the hotel is very good on week ends).I always stay there in Bandung (rate around 30$!),there's too much pollution downtown !

Looking around on the net Bandung looks a bit bigger than I expected but a little easier to get around than Jakarta! As far as the latter is concerned there are always lots of warnings about dodgy taxis and strong support for Bluebird (although I have to say I didn't have any problems with anybody in Jakarta). Is there a similar 'approved' company in Bandung or is everything a bit less risky anyway?

Thanks for the tip about the Sheraton 'fun pub' - I should be there Friday and Saturday I think.

LG

LG

As i don't consider JKT is risky,i use every kind of taxi.The only problem is the level of english of most of the drivers,even in Bluebirds !

The big difference in Bandung is that taxis usualy never want to use meter,10 000 rps seems to be usual price to pay for a ride .

Originally posted by Long Gun:

[QB]I really don't like that board at all. It's just a different attitude I suppose but I can't take all the sniggering and stupid slang they use. Surprisingly little on Jakarta too and what there is seems more about massage places which isn't my primary interest.

Likewise, i believe it's mostly chinese singaporeans using it, their attitude sounds too much like the kind of "women as meat" approach you'd get from small dicks who would never know how to handle a real woman. Better leave them collectively jerking off on the same girlie pixes night after night.They sound like 16 y.o, if they are, this might be their only excuse.

quote:

Originally posted by Prosal:

LG

As i don't consider JKT is risky,i use every kind of taxi.The only problem is the level of english of most of the drivers,even in Bluebirds !

The big difference in Bandung is that taxis usualy never want to use meter,10 000 rps seems to be usual price to pay for a ride .

While you may not have ever had problems with Jakarta cabs I would not advise any visitor to pick any old cab. In general you are safe by avoiding beat up cars but now even Prestasi has put some new cars on the road. Neither should you take cabs that don't display the operaters permit on the dash. Queen and Dian have fairly clean cars but their meters seem to be accelerated. Kosti Jaya and any cabs operated by the blue bird group are a safe bet.

This advise is not so much for safety but to avoid the hassle of taking the longest ride to any destination.

Gold Bird (unmarked sedans) are well worth consideration.

Archived