Is Jakarta worth a visit?

Belem

Ok I'd appreciate some little advice here...

I'll be arriving in Singapore on january 2nd, at 7pm, and would like to continue to Jakarta ASAP. However, I was told by Misa Travel that "there are no seats", except full-fare ones (something like S$400 OW) on SQ. Apparently this rings true to 3rd and 4th as well. So which options do I have, really? Flying from Batam? I already enquired with Lion Air about their departures from Batam to Jakarta but am yet to receive a response.

All ideas welcome.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yea, thanks, Air Asia could be an option... It's just that their daily departure from Senai to Jakarta is at 7pm, meaning I'd have to linger around Singapore for one night and day (which seems to be unavoidable anyway, though, as I believe the ferries to Batam don't run very late). I guess I'll give Lion Air a little while longer to step forward by replying my query, but failing that, Air Asia seems like a reasonable choice (for RM 219.99 + tax on 3rd january).

Cheers. :beer:

Lots of flights from Hang Nadim in Batam to Jakarta. I usually take a cab from the ferry to a travel agent in Nagoya and get a flight on Lion or Jatayu (0778) 429442. Most of the flights leave by 3 or 4 in the afternoon. The prices for a budget ticket can be from anywhere from 250,000 to 450,000IDR. I think you really only save maybe 10USD on a budget singapore jakarta ticket, and its probably not cheaper than flying Air Asia from Johore Baru.

FPI (Islamic Defenders Front) has awoke from the dead:

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaillatestnews.asp?fileid=20041023144102&irec=4

Muslim militants attack cafe in Kemang, S. Jakarta

JAKARTA (AP): Muslim militants in Indonesia's capital vandalized a cafe in an area popular with foreigners on Saturday because it was serving beer during the Islamic fasting month of Ramadan, police and one of the militants said.

Around 300 members of the Islamic Defenders Front (FPI) ordered customers at the Star Deli in South Jakarta to leave, before smashing the building's windows and doors, said Alawi Usman, a spokesman for the group.

"We are against immorality," he said. "The guys saw the beer on the table and what happened, happened. We are doing this for the future of the country's youth."

No one was injured in the attack, which police did nothing to stop, Usman said. Police confirmed the raid occurred, but declined say why they did not try to prevent it.

The FPI was formed in 2000. It has a history of vandalizing entertainment centers during Ramadan. Many analysts say that extorting money from frightened bar owners - not Islamic principles - is its primary motive.

Star Deli is in Kemang, an area known for its restaurants, cafes and bars. It is popular with foreigners and wealthy Indonesians.

The Jakarta government has issued bylaws regulating the opening of nightspots during Ramadan. Freestanding bars and nightclubs are supposed to close for the whole month. Enforcement of the laws is patchy, and police and government officials are easily bribed to turn a blind eye. (*)

Hi guys,

I can't remember where I read it, but it was today.

The story was told a bit different. Sorry that I can't give any reference.

According to what I read the police warned the Star Deli the day before about the FPI. Police did so again at the day of the raid and asked/ordered the Star Deli to close. What they did.

When the FPI arrived the place was closed and empty, FPI broke in and vandalized the place anyway.

A mob of residents (someone quoted like 'this is our job where we make our living') forced the FPI to leave, and trashed two of FPIs cars and some motorbikes.

Sorry as I can't give any reference where I got this from, I was kind of busy today...

PS, found a link that tells the story a little different again the star online , and saw others that more or less published adiks version from the Jakarta Post.

From what I understand after FPI left Star Cafe they headed for Barbados Cafe to do more of the same but were confronted and turned away by angry Kemang residents.

ketika melintas di dekat Barbados Cafe, konvoi massa FPI dihadang warga yang marah. Bukan hanya melempari konvoi bermobil dan motor itu dengan batu, warga bahkan berhamburan turun ke jalan memberikan perlawanan atas razia yang dianggap di luar kewenangan hukum tersebut. Menghadapi perlawanan warga tersebut, massa FPI sempat terdesak mundur. Bahkan, beberapa orang di antaranya lari lintang pukang meninggalkan motor karena khawatir dihajar warga yang marah.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Indonesia. I'm glad I went but I doubt I'll be back. BATS, CJs and Tigah Puluh were all busy but everywhere else was dead (I know ... Ramadan). There were some stunning girls (or rather, women, the average age is much higher that Thailand). Prices in these places are higher than Thailand - 5 star hotels with 5 star prices to match. Short time seems to be the norm too. The girls seem to be there for a quickie with a hotel guest before coming back down to the bar for another customer. The 5 star customers seem more than happy to be throwing 100USD at the girls. In the end I picked up one gorgeous girl and spent the rest of my holiday with her and had a great time.

Avoid Jalan Jaksa like the plague. The shitty accomodation is overpriced, the girls are on heroin and are very dangerous. Some people have made the comment that these girls like fucking white men and some do it for free. If you think you'll get free sex here be very careful. I went with one girl who claimed not to be a prostitute but demanded 1 million rupiah after 2 days! She was completely demented but I managed to get rid of her with half that much...

I didn't really crack the mall scene. Fucked if I can tell the difference between a whore and a normal girl in those places, although there are some obvious prostitutes. Didn't feel like doing my whoremongering in such a well lit public place.

Personally I think Jakarta has been talked up a bit too much on this forum. Those who claim the girls are sexier and more sensual than Thai girls must have been unlucky in Thailand. The women are very sexy but not more so than other girls in the region. As far as sensuality goes the brothel girls in Jakarta were awful. The disco girls were very sensual but no better than a girl from a Thai disco. Prices are equal to or even higher than Thailand, except at the very lowest level. Jakarta is definitely not the place for a holiday - the traffic is awful and you can spend much of the day in a taxi looking at dull smokey streets. Having said that the food I thought was delicious and there were very cheap flights to other places in Indonesia like Bali and Yogya. As far as living there goes I'm sure you can pick up a great girlfriend, but that's true of many Asian countries (I'll never forget my year in Japan!) I'm glad you expats are happy and I can see why, but don't talk the place up too much. It's good for a visit if you have the patience but doesn't even compare to Thailand for a good holiday.

• 2 weeks later...

each to their own

i ve lived in bkk and jkt and prefer bkk for living, traveling, but now i m happy enough to plod around jakarta. dunno why, just done bkk to death i guess, jkt is less of a scene and the expats a friendlier bunch than the old numpties in los...

Archived