Is Jakarta worth a visit?

Belem

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by land o' scams:

Long Gun- Are you saying that Barbados is not foreigner friendly?

Are you taking the piss? What I am TRYING to say is that I have never heard of the place and I don't know where it is! That's why I started a thread to try to find out but nobody has responded.

LG

quote:

Originally posted by land o' scams:

Long Gun, where exactly is this Barbados Cafe?

Well, a bit of a search came up with Kemang though to be honest that means nothing to me. Most of the search results seem to be Indonesian sites and it seems to be a music venue - though from the photos linked to in my previous mention, they obviously have other entertainments too!

LG

quote:

You can't even remember the name of two of them and if you think Kuta is anything like Pattaya then either a) you have never been to Kuta or
B)
you have never been to Pattaya!

LG[/QB]

You're right, I've been working and S'pore and never embarked on trips to this "sanuk" island. I've been to Jakarta only once on bizz and I thought it was pretty horrid.

I did not aim to pretend all info was first-hand. I never met anybody during my two years in S'pore and East-Malaysia who would consider visiting Jakarta for "fun". I answered to a question about whether to pick on Jakarta for a certain purpose and based on my knowledge, working in the region for two years, the answer would be "no". That's all. Different things for different people. There's folk who actually enjoy Manila.

I don't quite understand your comments on Kuta though. What exactly is different in your perception ? I'm afraid we may have to end up agreeing to disagree on this.

Peace

quote:

Originally posted by clickonline:

You're right, I've been working and S'pore and never embarked on trips to this "sanuk" island. I've been to Jakarta only once on bizz and I thought it was pretty horrid.

I did not aim to pretend all info was first-hand. I never met anybody during my two years in S'pore and East-Malaysia who would consider visiting Jakarta for "fun". I answered to a question about whether to pick on Jakarta for a certain purpose and based on my knowledge, working in the region for two years, the answer would be "no".

I think I said that my own first visit to Jakarta wasn't too impressive but once someone pointed me in the right direction I soon learned to love the place.

From what I've read from Singaporeans on Sammyboy's board and observed in Malaysia, the preference is for massage parlours and short-time/brothel type activities. Although Jakarta seems to have a lot of these too, that is not my idea of 'sanuk' and the scene I prefer there is a lot less mechanical and professional.

Before I try to answer your other question, can you tell me if you have ever been to either Kuta or Pattaya so I know where to start the comparison? I would say now though that my only personal experience of Kuta was 6 years ago but I can't believe it's changed that dramatically.

LG

quote:

Originally posted by Long Gun:

Before I try to answer your other question, can you tell me if you have ever been to either Kuta or Pattaya so I know where to start the comparison? I would say now though that my only personal experience of Kuta was 6 years ago but I can't believe it's changed that dramatically.

LG

quote:

Originally posted by Long Gun:

LG

I've been to P around four times while working in S'pore (and have been avoiding it all together on other trips to LOS) and to Bali on a round trip while I was working in Sarawak in '96-'97. So basically when you were there.

I somehow suspect what you will say will not really change my mind but I'm curious about why you consider Kuta and Pattaya to be so enterely different. It might require a coinnoisseur's perspective which is probably a little lost on me.

Take care

quote:

Originally posted by clickonline:

I've been to P around four times while working in S'pore (and have been avoiding it all together on other trips to LOS) and to Bali on a round trip while I was working in Sarawak in '96-'97. So basically when you were there.

I somehow suspect what you will say will not really change my mind but I'm curious about why you consider Kuta and Pattaya to be so enterely different. It might require a coinnoisseur's perspective which is probably a little lost on me.

Take care

May i step in? Frankly, if you think that Kuta and P are just about the same.... I guess both have tourists, girls from outside provinces, discos.... But tell me more about the gogos in Kuta, and what street is that that has 2 dozen bars on each side, repeated 4 or 5 times in each neighborood. I missed Kuta's walking street, and Beach Rd scene too, as well as locals discos/pubs and live band venues, (Pattaya is flooded with them), playing nothing but their own brand of provincial music. How about Indo food compared to thai, any contest? . Enlighten us,please....

quote:

Originally posted by pattaya127:

May i step in? ....

Yes, thanks for saving me from typing all that. I would add that Pattaya has about 1000 times more working girls and that Kuta had a really nice beach where they didn't allow traders on to hassle you, and far more Australians. Oh, and Arak or whatever it's called.

LG

[ September 09, 2001: Message edited by: Long Gun ]

Archived