Is Jakarta worth a visit?

Belem

Originally posted by bintang:

I'm ashamed to say that in Jakarta I only know the bule ghettos hard rock, Tanamour, JJs, Blok M though I did go to stadium one time.

Could you tell me the exact locations of Lava Lounge, Jalan Jalan and Retro?

Bintang

Trendiest in JKT for the moment,to meet models,wannabe,chinese or indo clubber girls , mostly high educated :

Lava Lounge,located Taman Ria Senayan,on basement parking.

Jalan- Jalan,Menera Imperium Building, favorite Friday and Saturday with Chinese.

Retro in Crown Plaza Hotel,not as good as it was (good crowd moved to Lava Lounge).

Cinna Bar,Mercedes Building,in front of Mandarin Hotel,very trendy bar,always packed.

New Age Bar,first floor of Lanna Thai Restaurant,meeting point before clubbing for youngs and riches.

O Reilleys in Grand Hyatt has good crowd,as

Salsa Cafe in Kemang,Zanzibar in Block M and Diva Bar in Senayan.

If you have a good date for dinner,favorites are Cinna Bar,Lanna Thai,Hazara(my all time favorite) or Dua Musim,both on JL Wahid Hasym.

Hope this few help

Cheers

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by gadogado:

You can actually do a 5-10 minute run from tanamur/jj's to there if you cabbie know the way. Most likely you will do the scenic tour, they all need to earn some crust.

Yes, I was surprised how quickly we got back from Tanamur last night - with my tourguide giving the directions. In favour of this hotel for me was the fact that it wasn't VERY far from anywhere, the airport, the train station, Blok M, J-J's etc and I haven't got a clue where I am in Jakarta. I paid 310,000 rupiah (about B1400) for a very nice double room with 2 buffet breakfasts. I headed back there yesterday for my last night and treated myself to an 'Executive Deluxe' or somesuch, very nice, much bigger, kind of a minisuite with a lovely big bathtub which was what sold it for me, as I was determined to pamper myself on my last night and sharing that tub with my tourguide was high on the agenda. They charged close to 500,000 net for that, still only about B2000 though so not bad.

I'll write some more bits about the trip later but I've nothing much new to add and quite a few of my plans for the trip were frustrated by the fact that I was shivering and coughing for a lot of the time. Still enjoyed it though. Just means I'll have to try to get back a bit quicker next time!

LG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'll be there early September, and will try most places. Is the disco at the Shangri La still operating, I mean with classy ladies? What about current selection at Top Gun and Oscar's? Are they far from Shangri La? I am of past middle age, somewhat paunchy, bald, but executive look and feel, with most systems operational. What are chances I will strike out? Any highly recommended approaches?

XJames

quote:

Originally posted by xjames:

Is the disco at the Shangri La still operating, I mean with classy ladies? What about current selection at Top Gun and Oscar's? Are they far from Shangri La? I am of past middle age, somewhat paunchy, bald, but executive look and feel, with most systems operational. What are chances I will strike out? Any highly recommended approaches?

Yes, enter smiling. I am still writing my report on my recent trip, and the subsequent one to Japan from which I returned last night. The impression I get is that the number of available ex-pats is very limited, it is very different to Bangkok, seeming to lack any real 'sex-tourist'/backpacker/English teacher crowds in any significant numbers. Anyone new walking into a bar will immediately be sussed and be guaranteed a ridiculous amount of attention. I love it!

Didn't get to Bats at the Shangri La this trip but last time (November) it was absolutely buzzing. The bar in the Hyatt, O'Reilly's, also comes highly recommended.

At a somewhat lower level of the market, Oscars is outstanding - I think they get the same girls as Top Gun, just a little later in the evening, before they head off to the Lintas Melawai disco.

From your description of yourself, you will have no problems!

Sorry, X

I just found your message regarding hotels. If you read through the earlier posts here you should see a few comments about Boulevard Park Plaza which is where I stayed. I booked this and the hotel in Bandung through http://www.asiatravel.com - very efficient and very good value.

However, in both cases their 'business centre' consisted of one or 2 computers with a less than speedy connection. Plenty of internet cafes around though.

LG

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: Long Gun ]

Xjames: recommended approach to the girls.

Be sure to avoid the 30-40ish girls who will try to glom onto you in the Blok M joints. Just politely say you don't want any company. If they persist politely walk away. Then you can pick what YOU want. These older ones are particularly bad at the Klub and Top Gun.

At TG I'd also avoid the Indramayu girls who stand at the front by the dart board. They are 9s in looks, but they're reportedly 2s in the sack. The Klub will rarely have anything BUT the older girls.

I hit Klub, TG, Oscars, Lintas Melawai, and JJs last night, with Oscars and LM having the best/most talent. JJs at 0200 was disappointing, with only about 30 unaccompanied girls, none of which were too great.

Cops stopping everyone outside of Melawai Plaza, so I'd recommend you carry a copy of your passport and entry stamp in your back pocket. They wanted to see my passport, but I speak Indonesian and told them it was back at the office. They let me go without a fine. I'm sure Rp50000 would have solved any problems. One word of advice on this is ALWAYS BE POLITE AND RESPECTFUL TO THESE GUYS. Never be obnoxious!

Selamat untung.

I quote:

"I hit Klub, TG, Oscars, Lintas Melawai, and JJs last night"

Hi, and this is fascinating. How do you do this? If, for instance, you're staying at

the Shangri La, do you take a Blue Cab for the night? What is your routine? Breeze through, shaking off the gloms, then out if nothing suitable? Do you cruise alone?

If I remember my days of trolling at Tanamur for instance, it takes about an hour of scoping in the near darkness to make out anything, then there's the approach, and sales pitch, and negotiations etc at the end of which there's not much time left for scoping out other areas.

How far are these places by cab? What visit sequence would you recommend? What rates do you end up with for top notch overnight talent?

Are you now living in Jakarta?

Thanks for all

James

Archived