A few questions...

bodhi

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's why I already asked Khun04 for details. I found LP guides during my travels in Asia extremely helpful (I couldn't imagine to travel in Japan without it during my first trips).

The basic information is quite good (how to behave, food, scams, shopping, how to go to places, e.g.). IMHO it's always good to carry a guidebook, especially for newbies, for simples questions like how to use local phones, where is the next post office e.g. and since you don't have/want access to Internet 24/7.

For hotels, restaurants and bars I wouldn't follow LP since the quality of this kind of places can change very fast. For travel advice in _SE Asia_ I would generally check the net after reading a guide (very important if you plan a side trip to Cambo for example).

That LP guides don't include details on the P4P scene is no disadvantage IMHO and I presume no one is buying *any* travel guide for this information. Acutally I think it would put many readers off, if they would find extended information about this kind of stuff.

I think it would be more entertaining and insightful to buy a veteran a few rounds as they show you around a chosen area... sort of a P4P Tour Guide.

Yes, do that.

I've done exactly that, three times, in three different cities.

In every case, my guide offered a wealth of valuable information.

Plus, with the right guide, it is a superb way to get acquainted in a new area while avoiding the pitfalls.

If you go in with a local friend as your guide, you will get far more respect, than if you merely appear as a stranger.

One of the benefits of forums such as this, is to vet potential guides.

I'm undecided about purchasing a cell phone in Thailand. I'm not sure if I want to be that accessible.

bodhi - The point of my suggestion was not to be accessible "back home".

The purpose is to attract and be accessible to your "new friends" here in Thailand.

If you don't have a mobile phone here, you are a tourist, and you will be treated as a tourist.

If you have a cell phone on your belt, you immediately gain an extra measure of respect and desirability among potential new friends.

They will be eager to call you.

You can buy phone time cards for as little as US$ 1.25.

Dear Bodhi

Well so far the OC gringo needs to help the poor Northern Californian guy fund is up to.....

well thats a secret , lets just say it will buy all my beers next time I am at Beergarden :)

I hope you got all the secret info , and the secret decoder ring from Old Hippie , he told me he was sending it to you

OC....

still in OC ,

Archived