A few questions...

bodhi

Hi all,

I've planned a trip to Thailand several times over the years only to have those plans fall through at the last minute (work, home, finances, etc, etc). Now I've obtained my ticket and will be arriving in BKK on October 6. While I've received some great tips from experienced travelers, the more information I have, the better.

My first question is regarding hotels in BKK and Pattaya. In BKK, is there a "board certified" hotel that is similar to the Manhattan in price and location(or closer to NEP) but with an in-room safe? The same question and criteria applies to Pattaya and the entertainment area.

My second question is regarding a website that I came across(whythailand.net). It's a site that is selling a Thailand advice e-book for $25. It seems informative but so does this board and advice here won't cost me two bar fines... unless I get bad advice.. then it could cost much more than that. Do any of you think the e-book is worth the investment?

Finally, what advice do you have regarding locating an absolute stunner? I ask this because not only is this my first trip to Thailand, it will be my first asian experience and I want it to be exceptional.

I believe that I have just about everything else figured out(famous last words) with the help of some very cool veterans and much internet browsing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and I hope to meet up with some of you during my trip.

bodhi

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pleas send your $25 to

Church of Old Hippie

under the bridge,

Frisco

california,

With this small donation you will get all the advise you need , even if you do not want it :)

places to go , people to see , and how to avoid the Si Saket voodoo curse ,

So send now , operators are waiting :)

OC

PS.....

Probably no one here has ever heard of this e-book. So just use the 25 bucks for your first barfine. All information you need can be found in the "nightlife" subforum.

You will find that the term stunner is highly subjective. But there are some stunners to be found in the bars definitely. Some of the more experienced punters here will be able to point you to some places. I have heard that the bars in Soi 33 and other more upscale places have some beauties (or are they only better dressed?). But it's often reported that taking a beauty doesn't mean that her service is any better, it could be even worse than from an 'average' looking girl. The 'exceptional experience' is not tied to the look of a girl.

I think most (all?) hotels above 1.000 bath will have an in-room safe.

Generally, just lean back and follow the posts over the next months and it might be worth to read older threads in the nightlife section too.

PS: Welcome!

Thanks for the tips, Kamui. Very good point about the stunner issue. I imagine that Thailand is no different in that looks can be deceiving.

I'll continue to check out asiarooms.com and planetholiday for hotels with in-room safes.

I'm looking forward to spending the next few months reading the forums and gaining some valuable insight.

Take care,

bodhi

Now I've obtained my ticket and will be arriving in BKK on October 6.

Clearly, bodhi is a man on a mission.

Well done.

I came across(whythailand.net). It's a site that is selling a Thailand advice e-book for $25. ...[snip]...Do any of you think the e-book is worth the investment?

I don't.

Writing advice about Thailand to sell on the web is a popular pastime among expat residents here.

Every expat thinks he's an expert.

I bought several such books before moving here, although not that particular one.

But now -- with the clear vision of hindsight -- I suggest you wait until you arrive, then pick a rainy day and head for a bookstore.

There you can evaluate the books before you buy anything.

And the prices will be 1/2 to 1/3 of the one you mentioned above.

All large shopping centres will have book stores.

Plus, there are several used-book stores clustered around Phrom-Phong skytrain station in Bangkok.

I recommend DASA books between Sukhumvit 24-26.

Also, in the Nana Hotel, the gift shop in the lobby has a good selection of useful books on Thailand.

In the meantime, you can read the forums.

Some forums are bad and getting worse -- veritable Tsunamis of inane posts.

But a few are worth the time to sift and sort.

This is one of those few.

Finally, what advice do you have regarding locating an absolute stunner?

My advice is don't do it.

Don't waste your time locating any stunners.

If you read more in depth on the various boards, a subtle theme emerges that the stunners often deliver the least for the money.

"Starfish" comes to mind.

So does "lousy attitude".

But, if you are set on a stunner, or a semi-stunner, the best value would be at a soapie:

You can pick from the fishbowl with no pressure,

and you can be certain that you will get the services and the time you pay for.

And, one more thing:

Many of the stunners are lady-boys.

As it's your first trip, you won't be attuned to pick up on that.

At a soapie, no danger of lady-boys.

I ask this because not only is this my first trip to Thailand, it will be my first asian experience and I want it to be exceptional.

Fair enough.

I've been living here (Bangkok) for two years now.

Every day is exceptional: some in grand ways, some in smaller ways.

Your first trip is something you'll remember for the rest of your life.

My first trip to Asia was intense.

Probably so for every Western man.

I'd lived and travelled abroad before, but not yet to Asia.

Best thing I did was write a brief journal in a small notebook.

Nothing fancy, but cleared my head from the whirlwind of new sights and sounds and helped me focus on what was important to see and do during that first trip.

I'll continue to check out asiarooms.com and planetholiday for hotels with in-room safes.

Have a look in the accommodation sub-forum and ask there again. All knowledge you'll need is here on the board, for example if a hotel is "guest friendly" or not.

29.gif

I'm looking forward to spending the next few months reading the forums and gaining some valuable insight.

As I said, that's the best you can do. But it's like reading cook books. You only will know how it smells and tastes when you eat the real meal.

7.gif

PS: I found the Lonely Planet Thailand guide book very helpful. In it you will find basic information about Thai history, the different parts of the town, the temples and shopping centers, the major scams aimed at tourists, e.g. IMHO it's very helpful to read a travel guide before the trip for basic information and orientation.

Thanks again for the words of wisdom, Kamui, and thanks for the new insights, Khun004.

Regarding travel guides, I've borrowed LP's 'Best of Bangkok', LP's 'Bangkok' and Culture Shock's 'Thailand' from my local library. I intend to purchase a good guide to Thailand once I arrive from one of the recommended bookstores.

As far as the 'Stunner Quest" goes, I imagine it will go by the wayside once I arrive and am overwhelmed by the sheer volume of available girlfriends for hire. It's tragic that many of the stunners are/were guys. Oh well, so begins the "Slightly above Average Quest"!!

For now, my plan is 3-4 days in Bangkok, 10 days in Pattaya, then 2-3 more days in Bangkok before departing back to reality. It's my understanding that the best layed plans seem to fall apart once you arrive so I'll just have to go with the flow and see how things turn out.

bodhi

Archived