A few questions...

bodhi

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Book your hotel directly, avoid joiner fees and mark ups that way. The Majestic, on Sukhumvit Soi 4 is just around the corner from NEP, and they have an inroom safe. Frankly, I prefer a lock box in the hotel office. The inroom box means you have the opener with you (unless it is a set your own combo type) This is the type I recall the Majestic using.

Other hotels near Nana are Nan hotel, Dynasty, and A few further down Soi 4, Nana Thai Mansion and Woburi. Near Soi Cowboy, try the Honey on Soi 19, but not really comparable to the Manhattan.

E book? heard of it, basically some sort of discount guide, but probably not that useful to you. For guide books, I like Lonely planet for the photos, gives you a good idea of what you may want to see, others include Footprint and Rough guide.

Maybe also go to a travel store/book shop, and look Through Thailand Photo books, and see what pictures/places interest you. Depending on how long you are going to be there, maybe consider a side trip to Lao, Mynmar or Cambodia (I loved Angkor Wat). Also Trips up into the North, or Issaarn, or the south...thoise are some general tips, as you zero in on a plan, you can ask more specific questions, and we will give better answers.

Also, be advised, some quack from the L.A. area is using my name to solicit money for a fake charity, don't fall for it! :)

Regarding travel guides, I've borrowed LP's 'Best of Bangkok', LP's 'Bangkok' ...[snip]... from my local library.

bodhi, I suggest a course correction:

Avoid all the Lonely Planet books (LP).

They are as far left as global warming.

In the current LP, read carefully the section about Pattaya.

And look on the LP's map of Thailand for the location of Pattaya.

Do us a favour and report back here what you find.

It's tragic that many of the stunners are/were guys. Oh well, so begins the "Slightly above Average Quest"!

:grin:

Not to worry: You won't be lonely here.

In Thailand there are "many fish in the sea".

Half of them are "above average".

By far, the easiest way to guarantee an overwhelming supply of eager women is to have a cell phone.

Wear it on your belt.

The locals will notice and want to "exchange" phone numbers so they can call you for dates.

After a few days, your phone will ring and ring.

Be sure to learn how to use your phone's "Silence Ring" feature.

If you don't have a cell phone, or the one you have is not compatible with the Thailand system,

simply buy a cheap, used, cell phone when you arrive.

OCGringo's charity? I'm more curious as to what the "Si Saket voodoo curse" is...

I'm already in the bookstores and online checking out the places and things that I want to experience, O.H. So much to see in so little time. I'll skip Angkor and stick to exploring Thailand for my first trip. I was considering a trip to Wat Pah Nanachat in Ubon Rajathani but that 3am first call is less than appealing while I'm on vacation.

Khun004, I'll check out the LP Thailand book and let you know what I find. If I did elect to pick up a pay-as-you-go cell phone in BKK, where is the best place to get one and do you know what the average cost is?

I'm sure that I'll have more questions as my departure nears and will post them under the appropriate sub-topics.

Thanks to all for the tips.

bodhi

OCGringo's charity? I'm more curious as to what the "Si Saket voodoo curse" is...

That's just a joke on Old Hippie. OH knows everything about Thai women except how not get scammed. :cover:

He had a relationship with a girl from Si Saket and if I remember right it ended with a plate of Phad Thai noddles on his head. :grin:

If I did elect to pick up a pay-as-you-go cell phone in BKK, where is the best place to get one and do you know what the average cost is?

Any tri-band (dual-band as well?) phone will work in LOS (Land of Smiles). If you are butterflying (change girls often) better don't give your number to all the girls, except if you like to be called at 3am in the morning by a girl who didn't found a punter yet. :)

where is the best place to get one and do you know what the average cost is?

Best place to buy a decent -- but cheap -- cell phone is at a BRAND-NAME mobile shop inside one of the super-stores, such as Carrefour or Tesco/Lotus.

I bought a Nokia 1110 from an "iMobile" shop in Carrefour.

That is a discontinued model -- I'm guessing now -- perhaps 4 years old.

But it was brand new, in the original box.

Works perfectly.

Strong battery - eight days on a single charge when new.

Strong antenna - gets signals where some other mobiles can not.

Price 2,100 baht, including tax.

As a tourist, you get tax refund when you leave the country.

My girl friend looked there last week -- says price for same model is now down to 1,900.

Requires SIM card (which I already had), which costs another 200 baht for the low-price versions.

Now a warning:

You hear a lot of people saying to get a mobile at MBK shopping center in Bangkok.

I disagree.

I've been to MBK dozens of times.

MBK seems the centre for fakes and cheap quality in everything.

Prices are cheap, but half the items I bought have had some sort of problem.

Based on lots of experience -- I avoid MBK in Bangkok.

Lonely Planet

Thailand

I purchased them all. For a newbie, these books provide a wealth of information.

Is this the best source? No. Wisdom and experience might be.

Left wing, right wing, liberal or conservative . . I could care less.

All sources of information are valuable. Some better than others.

Ask me. I have done everything worthwile in Thailand. But don't ask me about katoys, gay bars, illegal drugs, or underage whatever.

In fact, I am thinking about putting up a website and charging $25.00 for all the necessary information needed about Thailand.

:elephant::cussing::applause::cussing::yay::relieved:

bodhi, I suggest a course correction:

Avoid all the Lonely Planet books (LP).

They are as far left as global warming.

In the current LP, read carefully the section about Pattaya.

And look on the LP's map of Thailand for the location of Pattaya.

Do us a favour and report back here what you find.

Now I am curious: What's so bad about LP? Please give some details.

:confused:

unit731, that $25 fee seems to be the going rate for insider Thailand information. Thank goodness for free websites like this, eh? I think it would be more entertaining and insightful to buy a veteran a few rounds as they show you around a chosen area... sort of a P4P Tour Guide.

I'm undecided about purchasing a cell phone in Thailand. I'm not sure if I want to be that accessible. Then again, if I like Thailand and want to return on a regular basis, it may be worth the minimal investment. Do you have to purchase a service plan or do they offer phone cards with a set amount of time? What about phone cards to call back to the states? Are they readily available and reasonably priced?

I did finally purchase a cell phone on last trip.

An inexpensive one, I think. Can't remember, maybe 2,000 baht. This was the one that one purchases "time" or "units" or "minutes". There are different ones/plans/companies. Top Up rings a bell, but really can't remember. I do know that buying the time was as simple as the corner store. One buys a card. Then enters codes onto phone. I had the gal do it for me. Mine was new. Many used ones for sale at stores. My only concern with a used one was the battery.

The laws are changing or have changed for this type of phone. But it is not difficult to get one. I left the cell phone in Thailand with a friend. May or may not get it back in one piece though.

To call outside Thailand with cell phone. I am not sure. I never did.

Archived