Taipei

I'm taking a different route than I usually do returning to LOS from the US and will be passing through Taipei next Friday (I'm taking AA's SJC-TPE flight). I'm trying to decide if a stop-over of a night or 2 is worth it before continuing on to BKK. I'm quite sure I could find enough to do/see on Saturday afternoon in Taipei so naturally you all know what I'm referring to when I'm asking if it's worth it. I'm not too concerned about price/performance (unless it's approaching Tokyo prices, in which case I'll skip it), more into whether the Taipei sanuk experience itself is worthwhile.

I've been to Taipei once before but if was on a kind of whirlwind business trip and there was no time for Sanuk activites. Also I've checked the usual sources of info and the few reports tend to be quite out of date.

Anyone have any recent experience and specific recommendations? I'm quite familar with the standard Chinese scene as found in, say, Shanghai, Guangzhou, etc (in other words, KTV, nightclubs with floorshows, etc).

How about mid-priced hotels? Chinese 3-star can be a serious crapshoot, any specific recommendations?

Advice anyone? Is it worth a stop-over?

quote:

Originally posted by iuytrede:

The red light district for foreigners is Shuang Cheng Street.

Not cheap.[/QB]

Please elaborate.

Ted,

I have never been to Taiwan myself, but have talked now and then with men who have worked there. They all say that you can find sanuk in the barbershops that have the front window blocked out or curtained off in some manner.

JG

Shuang Cheng Street is off Linsen North Road (Lin2sen1bei3lu4)- the red light district for Japanese - near Minsheng East Road (min2sheng1dong1lu4). Hotel Staff will know.

No gogo-bars, but lots of pubs with available girls (not every girl will be available, though), some of them freelancers.

About prices I really must guess, maybe 50USD up.

BTW A "legit" pub in this area frequented mainly by Chinese is "Farmhouse".

Barbershops (= brothels) are all over the town. Lots of them in the area Minsheng E Rd/Linsen N Rd/Nanking E Rd. Last time I got quoted 100 USD, that was 10 years ago.

Cheapest in Taipei used to be Snake alley (Huaxijie) near Longshan Temple. It is a nightmarket and considered a tourist attraction, at the northern end used to be cheap brothels with not so young staff. 20 USD. They were ordered to close a while ago, so I am not sure whether they still exist.

Because of the anti-prostitution drive in Taipei City, a lot of it moved to the suburbs like Sanchong, but about this I know even less.

If you are after paid sex, just go straight to Bangkok. Taipei is a great place for "free" sex (if you are under 40), but one or two nights is maybe not enough time.

Ziga Zaga Disco (in the Hyatt) always has some freelancers.

The red light district for foreigners is Shuang Cheng Street.

Not cheap.

Only time there was in 1990, but I'm sure it has not gotten any cheaper. The Westerner nightlife district, such as it was, was in the area of the President Hotel. Had such oddities as pubs (bar & grill to us Americans) with Western men as bar-tenders. The you buy me drink places had some attractive young ladies but most of the clientele was Asian. Was on a limited budget that trip and wasn't playing, but I seemed to be under the impression that the price for company in your hotel would have been US$100. Still, it was interesting place to visit if you hadn't been there before.

Taipei has changed a great deal in the past 6 to 8 years. With all due respect, the info provided in the last few posts is no longer all accurate. The man who is now President of the country, Chen Shui Bian spent 4 years as Taipei's mayor in the mid nineties. He made a crusade out of shutting down all of the brothels in the city. It was once a very wild town, now there is very little left, but it can still be found.

The area around Minsheng E road is mostly cleaned up. Shuang Cheng Street is not worth it. Ziga Zaga is definitely good for the freelancers. I think Thursdays are Ladies nights. Last time I was there I used the services of a Barbershop opposite from the Howard Plaza Hotel. There is also Ceasar's Sauna on the top floor of the Asiaworld Dept store.

Expect to pay US150 either of these two places.

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps.

For hotels try the Brother Hotel, good business class for US$100 or the Dynasty Hotel, which is a little less comfortable for under $100. From the dynasty if you head out the front door, turn right and head up the steet two blocks you will come to the barbershop that I mention in the last post, assuming it is still there.

Cheers,

Archived