Vientiane, Laos

nkped

Thinking of spending a few nights there since I have never filled the Laos square. I know the nighlife is pretty tame and going to the Laotian monkey house is not my idea of fun. But given that, any suggestions about where to stay and any pleasant places to have a drink or two after dinner. crazy.gif" border="0

Hi,

My favourite place to stay is the Phonepaseuth Guesthouse, near the town centre (such as there is). Pubs and Bars don't seem to exist as we know them however you may try the Australian Club down by the river. Eating out is of a good standard (French and Italian Restaurants) though more expensive than BKK.

I would recommend that you hire a "mo-sai" by the day expect to pay about 3-400 baht per day.

Take Baht and Dollars with you, Kip are only used for small purchases like newspapers and drinks. You can easily get enough in change first time you pay with baht.

Not much in the way of sanuk, though a friend of mine has had a couple of freelancers. One from the Aussie club, one a waitress in a restuarant looking for some extra dough. (I've always had the mia with me so cannot comment on this aspect)

Have fun, I like it because it's so laid back after BKK.

I was there Nov '99 and enjoyed myself.

The Samlor pub had some freelancers. The discos are also another option. There are some bars on the Mekong where you can get some action. Laos was very low key and no comparison to the Thai nightlife scene. laugh.gif" border="0

I went to Vientiene recently. I had a great time good food nice people.I went to a bar called beer garden, nice place very cheap draft beer and quite a few good looking women hanging out there.It all closes at twelve though. I would recommend staying near the center of town. Just walk around you'll find some good places.

I had steak chips and salad for about 90 baht.

Big baguettes filled with meat and cheese for around 25. Plus genuine smiles.

Scruffy

It is illegal for a Lao girl to spend the night in the company of a farang, never mind the fact that she is getting paid. They will be very cautious and will definitly follow you up to your room. The police don't seem to be much of a problem but the country is a Marxist "democracy" all the walls have ears..... don't be paranoid but she will be!!!

quote:

Originally posted by coquetislander:

Scruffy

It is illegal for a Lao girl to spend the night in the company of a farang, never mind the fact that she is getting paid. They will be very cautious and will definitly follow you up to your room.

Where did you hear this? I've been to Laos twice with my girlfriend (who is from Laos) and had no problems at all.

The Lane Xang Hotel right on the Mekong is good value at $25 if you pay in cash. Large old fashioned hotel with pool. tennis courts and suana (traditional) massage. The night club is very dark, very Asian and full of (maybe 50-100) attractive young girls. I was with gf, so didn't do more than chat inanely with them.

Mikey

Just saw your post, here's what I base it on.

Permission to marry a Laos national is never granted to non-Laos citizens. If the Laos national marries outside of the country the marriage is not recognised by the Laos authorities.

I have seen this information in LP guide book, and on a couple of websites, can't remember which. A colleague ib BKK has a Thai wife who was "pounced on" by the police and treated very harshly until she was able to produce her Thai passport.

it is true that most lao girls, incl. freelancers will want to know where you stay as not every hotel accepts guests. One that does, is right smack in the middle of town, the LAO-Paris hotel, rooms are 10 or 12$ and 15 with a great balcony onto the street. Next to it is that place where they make these delicious vietnamese sandwiches on crusty french baguette. Ouh lala!

Archived