Burma, Nepal or Sri Lanka?

Dear Ashman, I said THE PEOPLE are "cool and friendly" DESPITE the situation. I also met supportes of THE LADY and they said about the same thing Coquet mentionned. I live in a city that forbids itself to do business with companies who invest in Burma. On my trips, i spend 5 to 12 $ on hotels, a couple bucks for meals, Ah! yes, 5$ for the Shwedagon (apologies), and use road transportation. Thanks to cooperative custom clerks, i forked out only 100$ for my FECs. I say: doing business (inc. package tours) with Burma no good. Travelin' on the cheap: up to you.

Ps: I'm like you: i can't wait for capitalistic law of the jungle-democracy to take over the bloodsucking junta. Mind you, it will be the same guys,with a business suit instead of army fatigues. And the west will applaud (itself that is, for "standing tough") to democracy returned. IMO...

[ June 07, 2001: Message edited by: pattaya127 ]

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by coquetislander:

[QB]Winston

"I've been to all three, I couldn't pick a favourite they are all very different and have advantages and pitfalls which differ widely from one another."

Ah yes, isn't it so with all the world?

"I like Sri Lanka for sunsets, Myanmar for the jungle experience, Nepal for the mountains."

Well, since I'm a mountain man and avoid beaches that's where I'll go then...

"None beat LOS for the sanuk experience."

I had to think about this one for a while. You mean 'Land of Smiles'?

"Go as a tourist see the world but save your baht for where you know it's at."

Actually I feel that way about Phnom Penh, Cambodia, which is why I made four and a half hours of video on erotic travel there! But just as a man can't eat the same food all the time, I need sexual and cultural variety.

"PS You forgot Laos."

Perhaps I misworded my post. I meant where I haven't yet been to. I *have* ben to LAos, although only briefly. Bad Thai food and rather heavy government (this was a decade ago). The best looker I saw was a cook in one of those Indian/pakisatni restaurants. Absolutely gorgeous. Owner claimed she was Laotion but she sure looked Indian to me...

Thanks for your insights

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

Great handle!

[QB]"If you think Nepal is a sexually liberal country because there are some Buddhists, you are grossly mistaken. Don't take Thailand as the yardstick. Nepal is about as tolerant in this regard as India - which is not much at all. In fact, you can have infinitely more "sanuk" in Bombay or Delhi than in Kathmandu."

Very good point. I go to Calcutta or Bombay for sex in India, the provincial capitals are lousy for sex as is to be expected. But in my experience New Delhi is the worst, surprising for a national capital of Asia. The brothels near Ajmeri gate had poor selection, and the cops hassled me.

"Incidentally, only 5.3% of the Nepalese are Buddhists, 89.5% are Hindu. But unusually, both religions overlap for a large part, and sometimes it's difficult to determine if a temple is Hindu or Buddhist; very often you find elements of both religions in the temples, especially in the Kathmandu Valley."

I stand corrected. I was oversimplifying.

"That said, out of the three above countries to choose from, I'd take Nepal any time. The people are incredibly friendly and accommodating(the current riots nothwithstanding);"

A buddy of mine's gardener was killed during the anti-King riots of a decade ago. And although I don't doubt that you are right in saying they are accommodating, the elder brother of his cook wasn't quite so tolerant of their affair and wanted to kill him. He may succeeded. Never heard from the German again...

" in my mind, they're much friendlier than the somewhat overrated Thais."

I can speak from experience that the Cambodians by and large are friendly too. I actually prefer Khmers to Central Thais (painting with a broad brush here) since Khmers tend to be warmer. Thais are polite and sweet, but a little too formal and inscrutable like the Chinese. I find Khmers more like North-eastern Thais (Isarn) which is of course exactly who they are. Or rather vica-versa.

"Nepal also has the prettiest girls,"

Hallelujah Jehovah! In the brothels of Calcutta I fell in lust with their smiles. Indian girls can be so serious by comparison.

Their fair skin, hairlesness, ah I cream in my pants just thinking about them, which is why I gotta do a tape on Calcutta's red zone (for the Neapali girls mostly).

"but it is highly unlikely you'll be able to do more than gawk. Have a look around New Road in Kathmandu in the late afternoon - hundreds of stunning college girls going shopping or having a meal."

Thanks for the tip. After going for low hanging fruit for so many years I could do with a girlfriend for a change.

"Sri Lanka is 69% Buddhist, but there's not much "sanuk" either - unless you're into effeminate little boys, that is, or if you fancy the sleazy seaside brothels in Colombo."

Yeah, that's what my traveling buddy tells me. He used to have a great time in the brothels in Colombo, then it all closed down. Might have opened up again -- I don't know. But what got to him was the homosexual scene, especially very young boys. Not for me...

"Again, the metropolises in India offer much more fun than staid Colombo."

I can't compare so will take your opinion as a lead. Metropolises maybe. Big cities have proved bad in my experience. Was almost arrested in Hyderabad red zone, and the hookers in Nagpur, Pune and elsewhere proved to be more thieves, con artists and just third rate than anything in metropolises.

"And I think during all my many travels in Sri Lanka I've seen maybe 4 or 5 pretty women."

Amazing. I don't doubt you though. Reminds me of another traveler who (like myself) loves the Tamil girls of Malaysia, but when in Tamil Nadu in southern India said they were dogs by comparison.

" They were usually "Burgers", a mix of Singhalese with Portuguese or Dutch."

Ah mixed blood, my favorite. The most beautiful women in the world I ever met was a university student here in the west among my clasmates. She was half Nepali, half Spanish.

"Furthermore, the Singhalese unfortunately do not qualify for the list of the top ten most friendly people in Asia."

Isn't necessarily bad. Maybe they mind their own business?

Winston James,

as you seem to be doing serious sexual research on the Indian Subcontinent's, here a few more hints:

As a lover of Nepalese girls, take a bus to a town called Trisuli Bazar north of Kathmandu; that's where a large number of the prostitutes in Indian brothels come from. The area is known for its pretty, fair-skinned girls.

There's a surprising number of prostitutes in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Any rickshaw driver can arrange one for you. And boy, Bangladeshi women can be absolute stunners!

In India, proceed down to Karwar in the state of Karnataka. If you go a few kilometres inland, along the Kali Nadi (nadi = river), you come to a little settlement of prostitutes. The locals call it Premnagar, "Village of Love". It's been a few years since I was there last, I hope it's still there.

The sexually most easy-going people in India(in my experience)are found in the state of Meghalaya, whose society is traditionally matriarchial. Many of the inhabitants have converted to Christianity and the girls are probably the easiest to score with in India. Assam ain't too bad either.

In Rajasthan there is a caste, whose women are pimped out by their men AS A TRADITION! The lazy buggers live of their womenfolks' income (sounds familiar, eh?). A little bit of research will get you there! Happy hunting. cool.gif" border="0

I would still urge anyone not to go to Burma though Total isolation from tourism would surely hurt the junta and the fascist western tour companies.Singapore bieng one of the worst offenders. 'Happy faced fascism' as one journalist said, forget her name.

I am thinking of travelling around Burma in the not so distant future, and am wondering if anyone can give me some travel tips....I have saved up alot of money over the last year and think it would be best to spend it in a country that really needs it...they are so poor, and I would like to do my bit to help. If anyone is wants to join me on my spending spree then let me know.

Cheers

Roger.

Ashman, i think the only authority one can have on this matter is to speak from experience. Burma is far from being closed and suffocating. This may have been 10 years ago, but one day in Yangoon, and you will see a lot of people rushing to work. The place is just booming, foreigners or no foreigners. Tons of cars everywhere (and clouds of smoke at rush hour), markets are all over the streets. i am not speaking in defense of no junta, but i think the industriousness of the people would make you see that despite the lack of freedom, the country is alive and not agonizing, and not waiting for the west to define them in its own terms. The situation in the countryside is definitely less rosy, but so it is in China, Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos ( whom nobody wants to boycott). Big business will sign contracts with the junta, wether we like it or not, but you'd tell a traveller not to go see for himself if he wants to. I disagree

PS: i will not deny forced labour exists, but hardly to build roads for tourists. If you see the roads to Bagan, Mandalay and Inle lake, rebuilt is not the word that will come to your mind. many times, the best way is to ride next to the road, not on it.

Archived