Burma, Nepal or Sri Lanka?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ASh, thanks for the link, i just read something from this journalist, but about Cambodia. Nothing too recent though.

I had some real good veal Cordon bleu in Yangoon (1$50!) and the restaurant had a few other choices like spaghetti or hamburgers. Yangoon is literally booming now: they have fast and junk food joints, and western food is not necessarily in 5 star hotels. Out of town, if feeling not adventurous, stick to the local chinese restaurants. It seems now, one can have quite a good meal in most medium cities. I did.

about Newspapers, in big hotels almost everything, newsweek, Time, herald tribune and the sorts. Most hotels have cable, i watched CNN every morning at Beautyland II, BTW, a nice and reliable place in the middle of town (Sule Pagoda), about 10 $/night (no guest allowed).

Winston James, I was in Nepal last oct-Nov. found nothing in the way of sanuk. I'm sure it is available, but not at all pushed the way it is in LOS. No cabbies pushing it, no bellhops offering "massage." etc...I have been told most of the girls are exported (often against their will) to India, Delhi I beleive, which supposedly has the largest "red light district" in the world. No sanuk aside, Nepal was a great place! Now may be a bad time, given recent events. You may get lucky with a western backpacker, but as for local stuff, I'd think again, I'm sure it's possible, but not very easy, possible trouble if caught.

there are girls available in Nepal, it took me almost 2 months (of my 3rd trip) to hear of it though, when a Nepali friend showed me the place.

we were walking from thamel towards the swayambuth (sp?) temple, he pointed out a house, and rather embarassedly said it was full of bad women. Thought he meant a womens prison at first, but he did mean pros.

Apparently some of the touts in Thamel will offer girls too, after trying to sell you tiger Balm, carpets, change money, hasheesh ! LOL.

Many of the pros in northern India come from Nepal, usually not by choice though. there is still a caste of temple prostitutes in Nepal, for hindu believers only though....

nepal is a great place, but I would not go there for the girls though.

Mike

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

"As a lover of Nepalese girls, take a bus to a town called Trisuli"

I translate 'trisuli' as 'bearer of the sacred trident', as in the anme of some goddess I suppose.

"Bazar north of Kathmandu; that's where a large number of the prostitutes in Indian brothels come from. The area is known for its pretty, fair-skinned girls."

Damn, I'm on the next flight! Actually might try for some Nepali girls in Thailand. Many in Bangkok.

"There's a surprising number of prostitutes in Dhaka, Bangladesh."

Don't doubt you at all. Most hellholes of the world do...

"In India, proceed down to Karwar in the state of Karnataka. If you go a few kilometres inland, along the Kali Nadi (nadi = river), you come to a little settlement of prostitutes."

Hope it is better than any of thes mall town brothels I visited in India. Nagpur (not far from the statue of Vivekananda I think it is) and Pune (near the old post office) ones had ugly women with a bad attitude.

"The sexually most easy-going people in India(in my experience)are found in the state of Meghalaya, whose society is traditionally matriarchial."

Would love to tour the NE on my next India trip but access is restricted, yes?

If you would like to continue this conversation in private you can email me at winjames2001@yahoo.com, if such is allowed on nanaplaza.com. Great service!

Originally posted by winston james:

[QB]"I translate 'trisuli' as 'bearer of the sacred trident', as in the anme of some goddess I suppose."

"Trisuli" means "trident-like", and the town is named after the Trisuli river by which is is located.

The Nepalese girls in Bangkok which you mention are in most cases Nepalese from Burma, who have never ever been to Nepal. There's a sizeable Nepalese community in Burma, a leftover from the British Raj. Many of the Burmese-Nepalese work as maids in Indian households in Bkk.

"Hope (Karwar) is better than any of these small town brothels I visited in India."

No. Very dismal brothels, but in a kind of semi-idyllic village setup.

"Would love to tour the NE on my next India trip but access is restricted, yes?"

At the moment there should be no restrictions for Assam and Meghalaya; restrictions are in force for Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Mizoram and Tripura.

The one thing you should under no circumstances miss is a festival called "Bharata Poornima" in Saundatti, Karnataka (ca. 50 km east of Hubli). During the festival, thousands of young girls are devoted to a particular goddess (Yellamma), but in reality they end up as "devadasis", "slaves of the goddess", or temple prostitutes. This is an ancient tradition; in the past some temples had hundreds of devadasis attached to them. Lucky if you were a priest!

For more info on the above, type in key words like Saundatti, Devadasis, Bharata Poornima (Purnima), temple prostitution etc. into a search engine.

The festival is also attended by scores of pimps from the big cities, who haggle with the priests for the best girls. Many of the prostitutes in Falkland Rd. or Foras Rd. in Bombay originate from this festival. You can often recognise them by tattoos of goddess Yellamma that they wear on their upper arms. The festival takes places on the full moon day in the Hindu month of Magh (mid-Jan./mid-Feb). Most pilgrims arrive a day or two ealier than that and you'd be advised to do the same. Most pilgrims camp out in the open - and there's usually about half a million of them! There's only one lousy little hotel in the town itself.

Alternatively, you can stay in relative comfort in Hubli (or Belgaum, a little further away) and travel to Saundatti every day by car (ca. 1 hour from Hubli).

Incidentally, I don't know of any of this kind of temple prostitution in Nepal; I'd be surprised it if it still exits. They used to perform incredible Tantric rites in Nepal (for example in the Kashtamandap in Kathmandu); see if you find anything under the term "chakrapuja" in a search engine. Very interesting stuff!

Namaste, SB cool.gif" border="0

[ June 13, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Archived