Ankor Wat

Old Hippie

Just been about 3 weeks ago.

Getting there:

Fly to AW or Phnom Penh and get the 5 hour boar ride ($25)up to AW. Sit on the roof but watch the sun. Do NOT go by road via Aranyaprathet-the six hour ride the other side is absolute murder.

Sanuk:

Limited in AW. 3 or 4 shophouse massage places. Martini's night club cum bar is probably the best. Plenty available in Phnom penh and very cheap $10- $20.

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

Anyone have info on trips from LOS to Ankor Wat? I am interested in a fall trip. Any info appreciated.

If you can spare some money, you can check out the Siam Society on Asoke. They have regular trips, the next one in the first-second week of July, go for 4 days. They charge around 33000 baht though, but you have well known historians, archaeologists as tour guides.

bar prices

centralcitybangna

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

Anyone have info on trips from LOS to Ankor Wat? I am interested in a fall trip. Any info appreciated.

I did it last fall and really enjoyed it. I didn't do much (any) sanuking up in Siem Reap because trudging thru the temples in the heat took most of the energy out of me.

No problem, plenty of that in the other venues.

Siem Reap, when I was there, still hadn't been completely overrun by touristic development and had a nice easy-going feel to it after being in BKK. A really basic place but it kinda grows on ya.

If you're there to see the temples be sure to give yourself enough time -- 3 or 4 days by my reckoning is about right. A pass to the temples comes in single day, 3 day and 7 day spans. The three day one was $40 US. If you buy your pass late in the day (like 5PM) they don't count that time so you end up with a little extra -- nioce way to start with a quick preview the evening before hitting it in earnest.

I had a guide who (quite by accident) was very good. Good English, nice fella, knowledgeable, honest. Contact me privately if you want his name and phone number.

How you choose to get there depends on how much you want to spend. I chose to fly. BKK to Siem Reap then Siem Reap to Phnom Penh for a few days of K!! sanuk and then back to BKK. Ticket for all three legs was about 8300 baht if I recall correctly.

Hope that helps a little,

jb

I agree with the previous post. Although, I got burned out after three days, not four. Damn, it's hot. Anyway, be sure to also visit the Vietnamese floating village. It is a "must see." Take a private driver, and go there via the back roads.

At AW, you'll see some really interesting people and things. Be sure to climb the mountain/temple across the street from Angkor Wat, at sunset. It provides a beautiful view of AW, and of the whole valley.

The Khmer language sounds very exotic. Get some Khmer companions and drink with them. You will have some great memories.

All the Best, VTB

ps--two other attractions that I did not see are the land mine "museum," and an ancient site in the mountains with carvings in the flat rock river bed. cool.gif" border="0

Hippie,

I took the boat up from Phnom Pen to Siam Reep in Nov '99 for $20 US. I enjoyed the boat ride, got to see some of the countryside. About a 5 hour trip.

3 days for AW was enough for me. It is worth seeing. The land mine museaum is also worth a look.

There is some sanuk there but doesn't compare to PP.

Archived