where should i stay on ko samui?

theshaw66

Nowadays it's almost better to stay away from Chaweng.

Only go there for work or business (same same but different) and try to avoid it for the rest. Only visit the outskirts of Chaweng, even for a night out nowadays, almost only visit Soi Reggae.

Sorry , but I have to disagree...Chaweng is a good time, yes it is noisy and crowded but still exiting and mad. Compared to shit-holes like Pattaya and Patong, Samui would be considered an untouched ares of Thailand. IMHO

and yes da Reggae pub a good time there mon

( please say this last line with a jamaican accent)

Theshaw66, rather as i mentioned earlier if you are going down to Samui with a girl in tow and want to chill out and have a good beach in the day, i'd go to Bophut or Mae Nam. Or if going solo and planning to shag about a bit then try Lamai.

Simie.

Partyguy, we each obviously have our own take on this, and yours differs to mine. I would class Chaweng as a shit hole. Yes 10 years ago it was great and i loved it there, great fun with out being to developed and the beach was lovely as well. Now the beach is a pale shadow of its former self and Chaweng itself over developed and the hotels very poor value for what you get compared to say Pattaya. I've also seen more fights in Chaweng than i've ever seen in Pattaya and at high season especially many groups of British yobs about. The thing is Pattaya love it or hate it has always been a shithole but with good value regarding hotels and loads of girls and basicly it does what it says on the tin. Samui sells itself as dream destination or a paradise island. Still lovely in some parts of the island yes, but Chaweng is'nt one of them and the whole place is not good value for what you get.

Simie.

I've also seen more fights in Chaweng than i've ever seen in Pattaya and at high season especially many groups of British yobs about.

I was just once at Samui four years ago, but in Lamai I had the only unpleasant encounter during the whole trip. I was there with a BG from BKK and a group of (drunk?) brits said some nasty, degeratory things to my girl...

i have only spent 2 Nights in Chaweng and found no problems.

Limbo can agree that he found me a good hotel for a good price.

we had a good couple of Nights out on the town and travelled around the area to have a beer or 2.

we had no problems with other people and enjoyed visiting a few Bars and hanging out with BG's.

i enjoyed the 2 Days i spent on Samui and liked the fact that the area is compact.

i still prefer Patong but i would have no problem going back for a few Days.

but i'm easily pleased.

So where then? A BG friend of mine is taking her parents and sister to Samui next week and asked me. She is looking for something in the B700-800 range -- Thai style and few amenities is fine. Any recommendations?

Cheers,

SD

Archived