Aircraft Terror Plot

Mentors

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

oh, british born muslims blew up london underground trains, and others are moving on to bigger things, i find it hard to fathom whats so difficult to believe?

Yep,

IMHO it is a little bit early for the cynics and followers of conspiracy theories.

I would say to wait how the story unfolds. If this is a false alarm the Brit police and secret service will definitely lose a lot of credit.

If this would have happened in US a conspiracy would be a little bit more likely, because of the upcoming elections and loss of power of the Neocons...

oh, british born muslims blew up london underground trains, and others are moving on to bigger things, i find it hard to fathom whats so difficult to believe?

Phil,

I have given examples of other times the terror alert was needlessly sounded, resulting in panic, and nothing more. Other examples have been sited of "terrorists" having been arrested only to be released later (with little fan fare and hoopla) for lack of any real evidence.

As I said, Nothing surprises me anymore with this stuff. But I refuse to panic. Tell me, if you needed to go out today, are you going to stay home because of the "Red alert?" Are you going to cancel your up comming trip? are you going to stop your bike rides, or do anything special because of the terror alerts? I'm not. Most people aren't, so why bother with the alerts? as they serve no purpose.

As I said, all fine and good to report the story when full facts are known, and there is no need for panic. As I said, during WWII many things happened here close to USA soil, they were not reported at the time for fear of creating aa panic. Panic stirs chaos, myth and misinformation, and makes control of a situation difficult. Unless of course that is the desired effect?

There isn't any panic in Europe. Travellers all over Europe are affected since many flights are cancelled or delayed. People are worried of course and it's no fun to spend hours in queues or miss flights. The general feeling is: better safe than sorry.

I agree , where is the panic ? If you call stepped up security panic , that's a far cry from reality. It's been a pain in the ass at airports since 911 , so now there is some added pain. No big deal.

Adjust to the rules , and arrive early... :smirk:

Bada :sleeping: Bing

nobody is panicing here, heathrow, gatwick etc are calm, we have a right to know the score, they have a duty to tell us.

Agree, we have a right to know and they have an obligation to tell us THE TRUTH. Count on "them" to do it? I don't. Right now, it is all a speculative story. When they know the facts, then they can release them. Again, I point to all the other "terror plots" which were hyped with hysteria, only to be quiety dismissed later on.

The point is, the immediate reaction is to instill panic and fear, and a call/justification for some sort of action. So far, the war on terror has resulted in action in Afganistan and Iraq, care to guess where next?

Where is the panic? good question. That is another point to my question "what good are the terror alerts?" It has gotton to a point that we all seem to be ignoring them. So again, what good are they?

In the past, hype about possible terrorist attacks has caused burbs in the stock market, mainly caused by the raise in oil prices. Haven't checked yet, has the price gone up today? how about gold? It could be we are just getting numb to all these BS alerts. If no one is panicing now, great, but I still maintain the alerts and hype are nothing more than a ploy.

As for heightened security on airplanes...why did it take this to bring it about? Why wasn't it in place before hand? I agree with Suadam, politics. As he pointed out, the government(s) knew of this possibility but did nothing about it all. Now of course suport for all the wars on terror and maybe for Isreal is dwindling, and we are all looking for then end of the Bush reign of terror, poof, another reason to worry/take more action...

Hyping this recent act justifies giving up more comforts and freedoms/rights, and will possibley be used to gather sympathy for more military actions...of course I could be wrong, hope I am.

I'll paraphrase here (maybe Ben Franklin?) "...people who sacrifice freedom for safety and security end up with neither..."

Archived