Best Tom Ka Gai

follies

This soup's one of my favorites, I've tried it in many places in LOS, seems to be quite a bit of regional variation. In the south, it's usually quite creamy, in Bangkok it seems to have more lemongrass-lime content.

Anyway....to the point....can anyone recommend places that really serve up a good big, high-quality bowl of Tom Kha Gai in Bangkok? All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Not at the gourmet level, but they do make a pretty good bowl of Tom Ka Gai at the food court across the road from the Bier Garten on Soi 7. It is of the coconut lemony variety, i.e. cooked for foreigners (not always a bad thing).

I think there is only one food stall there that does offer it, about in the middle of the row of opened kitchens.

It is/was 90 Baht with a bowl of rice, a little expensive, but it is in a convenient place. smile.gif" border="0

Try a place called "You and Me" restaurant and beer garden, its located on the back road which links Laksi to Don Muang, its in the Erawan Airport Serviced Apartments building...all their food is excellent, but the Tom Kha Gai is the best I've tasted here in the last 7 years...also recommended is the seafood curry served in a cocounut and the pineapple fried rice...and....well as I said its all good...used to live there, and really miss the food.

Cheers

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

I love this as well, try the Soi 5 Resturant on Sukumvit, right on the corner of Sio 5. In fact try all there food it's great.

Aroy, khrap!

quote:

Originally posted by follies:

This soup's one of my favorites, I've tried it in many places in LOS, seems to be quite a bit of regional variation. In the south, it's usually quite creamy, in Bangkok it seems to have more lemongrass-lime content.

Anyway....to the point....can anyone recommend places that really serve up a good big, high-quality bowl of Tom Kha Gai in Bangkok? All suggestions gratefully accepted.

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

I've always enjoyed the Tom Ka Gai at Thong U Rai restaurant - deep into soi 23 on the right.

sanukdee said

quote:

Also I like those spicy mini clams there, but can't think of the Thai name for that dish.

Try asking for hawy lai phat phet.

Arai wa

Archived