Terry Is England Captain

Steve

I've always had a preference for defenders to be captains as they have (due to their position on the pitch) a better vision of the game.

Apart from the (natural) abilities to lead a team the above is a welcome extra. Neville is dorky, good player, but I don't see a leader in him.

I think Terry makes a very good captain.

And Gerrard second man.

Not a reply to your question CS but congratulations to McClaren for having the guts to axe Beckham. :applause:

He's just doing his job Munchie, people with no ball (like Sven) do not belong in the football world and suck as a coach.

McLaren is doing what is best for the team and if that means kicking Becks out than so be it. :up:

Next step is playing to their OWN strengths rather than the opponents' weaknesses..we shall see.

I think Terry can be a capable captain. The best choice? I'm still trying to see what extra qualities he has that no one else has?

I prefer a captain at CM. Not that defenders can't be great captains, Tony Adams being one of the best, however as much as a defender can see the whole game ahead of him, he can't orchestrate or influence the match other than telling players to push up or come back and defend. A center mid is a linch pin to all areas of the pitch, the forwards, wingers and defenders and if you're behind he can actually do something about a build up to a goal and can better influence a game than a defender.

I will give McClaren points for doing the brave thing. I may not agree with some of the people he included (does england need both nevilles? and Thompson as GK?) or excluded (Andy Johnson) but he is his own man it seems...for now. At least we'll probably see a more attacking english squad.

CS,

I think Terry can be a capable captain. The best choice? I'm still trying to see what extra qualities he has that no one else has?

Ok, let's have a look at the players then.. See Link

Btw, these names aren't correct are they? I thought Darren Bent was left to the youngsters?

Anyways.. IMO all forwards lack the ability to lead a team. Those are ruled out.

Midfielders..both Lampard and Gerrard are OK, the others are either too young/inexperienced or afraid to open their mouth, let alone lead a group.

Defenders, Terry only, 4 others are questionable (Cole, Ferdinand, Carragher, Neville) they're IMO workers, not leaders (Terry is in fact both) And Ferdinand has proven to organise the defense at Man U, not a team.

So IMO Gerrard, Lampard and Terry make good captains. I favor Terry over the two midfielders as stated earlier. And Gerrard over Lampard because he seems to work harder for a team when things go badly, often the case at Liv..(last season) and team-mates would die fighting for a player like that. Motivates the lot and sets a great example.

I completely agree with McLaren.

CS,

Ok, let's have a look at the players then.. See Link

Btw, these names aren't correct are they? I thought Darren Bent was left to the youngsters?

Anyways.. IMO all forwards lack the ability to lead a team. Those are ruled out.

Midfielders..both Lampard and Gerrard are OK, the others are either too young/inexperienced or afraid to open their mouth, let alone lead a group.

Defenders, Terry only, 4 others are questionable (Cole, Ferdinand, Carragher, Neville) they're IMO workers, not leaders (Terry is in fact both) And Ferdinand has proven to organise the defense at Man U, not a team.

So IMO Gerrard, Lampard and Terry make good captains. I favor Terry over the two midfielders as stated earlier. And Gerrard over Lampard because he seems to work harder for a team when things go badly, often the case at Liv..(last season) and team-mates would die fighting for a player like that. Motivates the lot and sets a great example.

I completely agree with McLaren.

I agree that when you look at the entire team there are only three players who should be considered for captain...Lampard, Gerarrd, and Terry. But I think part of the reason that McLaren went with Terry is because he still hasn't come to grips with the "problem" of having 2 mid field "generals". If he had chosen Gerarrd then it would have shown a leaning of favorism to him over Lampard and the work they do in the middle.

I think that McLaren is going to have to move Gerrard over to the wing while keeping Lampard in the middle. Let Terry be the captain and let Gerrard lead on the pitch.

Off topic: I am also beginning to think that this may be the year for Liverpool to overtake Chelsea in the EPL for the same reason. I don't see Ballack and Lampard being able to do what they each do well without constantly getting in each other's way.And Chelsea better pray they get Ashley Cole to play the attacking defender role next to Terry that Gallas and Del Horno did in the past. Otherwise, the door will be wide open for Liverpool.

The england team has changed and will continue to evolve. Hargreaves seems like he'd make a good captain but no experience captaining a club side. Gerrard was my choice as well.

Shearer was a decent captain I thought. But I generally agree that forwards shouldn't be. I didn't want Henry as captain for Arsenal.

Shilo,

But I think part of the reason that McLaren went with Terry is because he still hasn't come to grips with the "problem" of having 2 mid field "generals". If he had chosen Gerarrd then it would have shown a leaning of favorism to him over Lampard and the work they do in the middle.

Good observation, I agree with this.

CS,

I didn't want Henry as captain for Arsenal.

Who would be your pick? You favor a midfielder but I must say that I don't see any leaders in midfield in the current Arsie squad. Lots of talent but too young for such responsibility.

What about Lehmann? ..or Toure?

Archived