Help about Thai ARt

junglesoup

If you are interested in art from the serious locals, go to H gallery and talk to him. He is in the Sathron area.Nice fellow He is promoting Thai artists-mostly abstract painters. Most are so so in quality with a few standouts.

Price varies.

Generally the better Thai artists leave for the states UK and then come back.Thwe central area around MBK is goin got have, I believe a contemporary museum...eventually.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ND. Arai wa?

You can't be serious. Ajarn Somboon is having one of his first shows in five years next February at this shit gallery, H Gallery. He is a national treasure and one of the great artists of Thailand

IMHO, you don't know what you are talking about.

Plus just look at the write ups and roster. Jakkai Siributr represented by H Gallery is a hot commodity not just domestically. He has shows in New York this fall, and has become quite prominent with write ups in Art News and Asian Art News several times.

When you say the gallery "creates" artists what do you mean? Gives them a chance? All artists start somewhere, and the roster is pretty impressive actually.

A few of these artists were also featured in the exhibition in Honor of His Majesty the King at Thong Lo's Playground Gallery.

I will say in his early years H used to show some crap, but the gallery was just getting on its feet. After 7 years his space is probably one of the most professionally run spaces in town barring Art Center (Chulalongkorn) and 100 Tonson.

Best,

theNumbers

Look art is a subjective market at its best. What ND says is universally true that the marketing of artists is probably currently more important than the quality of the art that the artist produces.The art market is generallly BS. That being said,there are real artists making quality art in a variety of venues. H Gallery still shows some very amatuerish quality art that H is promoting to his

yuppie clientele. He also has cracked the NYC circuit and is presenting some of his artists to the west and some of his artists are quite good.

In general, Thailand lags far behind in gallery venues -there simply are very few.There is very little broad based interest in this market so that the H gallery has a rather easy time of it-there is little competition.Thais are interested in cars,clothes and new houses, not art.

Jitagawn your local Nana art critic and career painter. :) and no I dont show here. I show in NYC,CA,London etc etc although I have sold pictures privately here for 15 years. To keep the career going one has to leave Thailand...

All art these days is part of a market, and NYC dealers and the Chelsea-Mafia built that 30 years back.

Collections are donated to museums to have them shown to increase the inherent value of collections and the artists represented. I think it has always been a market, and the art may have gotten more sterile because the people who control the market are perhaps a bit more of a bore worldwide these days :dunno:

I was trying to be helpful in the thread to a guy who asks about Thai art respectively. The artists at H are in New York and being marketed aggressively in the art world, which as I said before "is a market".

H is a reputable art dealer, English speaker, with artists shown in the west. He has a website to link up with .jpegs and the guy who asked the question is overseas.

So, you think H blows because some of his artists are not "up to snuff" in your opinion and you show in the West? He shows some of them to make money because he has a bottom line. IMHO, alot of the stuff there may be more staid but not worse that what dons the walls of galleries across the world of "modern art" (post-post modern if anyone is taking notes)

"crack, amateurish artists." :dunno::doah: that's just kind of snide. The quality of art is subjective, but a quality gallery that promotes an artist you like is an investment and a relationship. www.maryboonegallery.com (she's made a life out of it).

I would also point out that the art market certainly isn't that variable outside Thailand even on prices with the exception of masterpieces which keep getting more expensive in dramatic leaps.

For example I can tell you roughly what different editions of prints by Garry Winogrand or Harry Callahan would go for roughly in New York today, whether they were vintage prints or new reprints at auction within a few hundred dollars.

A Thai artist like Rirkrit is sound in price because he exists outside the Thai market, as he has representation in New York and a gallery. He was in a silent auction here earlier this year for charity holding his international market value for a painting.

You may pay a price that has no relationship to true value of some ambassador's wife has a show at H Gallery, but we are talking maybe 2,000 USD, which is not big cash in the art market at all.

I didn't mean to sound condescending, but in defense of H. He's just trying to build a gallery and a clientele, which is not easy in Bangkok for many reasons you mentioned.

TO be blunt the city scarcely has a single proper gallery space save Art Center, Tonson, and maybe Tadu if you are generous. Generally the ceilings are low, walls are dodgy, and some can't even support heavy paintings rips the gypsum apart.

If H is such shit Jitagawn what is good in Bangkok?? Plus given this OP is overseas I can't exactly tell him to look at more folky art at Numthong Tang's Gallery given it is not very accessible by internet or to non-Thai speakers.

Best,

the_numbers

<<

TO be blunt the city scarcely has a single proper gallery space save Art Center, Tonson, and maybe Tadu if you are generous. Generally the ceilings are low, walls are dodgy, and some can't even support heavy paintings rips the gypsum apart.

.>>

Bangkok Gallery isn't too bad, "Johns" art there is a bit boring though. Vasan was a regular, they had many of his original's, not a lot now.

Agree with you though, Bangkok art scene is pretty dull. The gallery near the traintracks isn't bad, seen a few good shows there.

Trouble is, coming from working with some of the best galleries in Australia, maybe a few norches down from New York, I still find the attitudde at H very ameratish.

Yes "Marketing" is important, however his choices to market mostly suck as does his style to market. He is a far shadow of reputable western dealers, Gene Sherman, Ray Hughes being a few I know personally who do market, have a high level of integrity in what they do.

The gallery in the lane beside Soi Lang Suan isn;t bad and sadly the best ever gallery in Bangkok, a huge establishment purpose built in the late 80's early 90's near the Gotha Intstitute has been closed for 10 years because since the owners death his kids can;t agree how to split the $'s.

If H is such shit Jitagawn what is good in Bangkok??

Um I did not say that- I gave a more balanced view of his gallery.Some amateurish-some quality- H is buiding a market and trying to make a buck-Thats what dealers do.Fine. What I was really trying to say is that these days marketing and money drive art/not the reverse- It was a different game in the old days/what to say I am a vet/just my opinion.

That a gifted delaer like Leo Castelli has been replaced by Larry Gagosian is absurd-What a joke-

My career has really nothing to do with anything.I should not have brought it up but I was just trying to reference my opnion as I have a life time of professional experience. I was saying that I show here and there and dont show in Thailand because Thais "GENERALLY" are not interested in Western art.I am a bit of a dinosaur/clsssically trained figurative artist-old school/I paint with those little scraggly hairy things- Brushes they call them- that all/ thats it- nuff said-

Please note- after one paints for 35 years solid ,and watches the BS,in fighting and cuthroat manipulation and enormous egos of the dealers AND CURATORS from the INSIDE one gets a bit jaded and opinionated :smirk:What happens is the artist just get sick of the BS- (I stopped showing a while ago for 5 years just because it got old.)

To wit just look at the Chinese painting market now. Some kid is getting 100k? Now that is an artificial market- created for the investment bankers to bet on-

Did not mean to ruffle your feathers about H he IS a nice guy as I said in my first post( I had not seen your first post yet) and is tryig to crack a tough market-

He should let the Ambassadors wife show somewhere else though... :smirk:

Thats it- :)

Archived