Bull's Head vs The Londoner

Being in the Prompong area today, I decided to have a Sunday roast at the Londoner pub on soi 33, if only to spend the 500 baht voucher that I had for coming second at the Londoner quiz night. On the rare occasion that I do fancy a 'taste of home' I usually end up at the Bull's Head for their excellent Sunday chicken roast dinner at just under 300 baht, but thought the change might do me good.

It dawned on me as I paid the bill at the Londoner (about 1200 baht for two people) just what poor value for money this restaurant represents and how it masquerades as an English pub but isn't really one at all. The Londoner puts considerable effort into its chalkboards displayed outside that announce English this and English that, and yet when you walk through the door it immediately loses heart.

I went for the set Sunday lunch at 395 baht - a chicken soup for starter, followed by pork fillet, crackling, roast potatoes, and market vegetables, and ice cream sponge for dessert. I've never eaten food so spectacularly average in my life. On top of this, I had to ask for an ashtray, a tissue, and a glass of water. There were at least 10 serving staff around but they were all channeling their energy in the wrong areas - such as folding napkins and trying to sort out the TV channels. And no, I do not think the cartoon network makes suitable entertainment for adults enjoying Sunday lunch. Then again apart from my girlfriend and I, an ex pat couple with two uncontrollable brats and a group of 5 Thais who were there out of curiosity - there was no one else in the place. The Bull's Head always has a healthy crowd in there on Sundays. What does that tell you?

The Londoner fails dismally in its attempt to be an English pub. My roast pork fillet sat on an oversize plate with six tiny roast potatoes and a heap of undercooked Thai-style vegetables. Where were the peas for f*** sake? My mother would never lay claim to being a great cook but she never served up a meal as dismal as that on God's special day.

Today made me realize just how much I dislike the Londoner and that the Bull's Head is in fact a hundred times better for ambience, atmosphere, food, drink, service and whatever category you care to mention. The Londoner is a place for your 3-week tourist who happens to be strolling by.

By the way, tonight you can watch the Belgian grand prix from somewhere in Belgium apparently. Please.

Phil,

I fear that Englands 5-1 victory has made you come over all patriotic.

No peas?Good lord ,whatever next?No gravy!

Stick to the chicken and noodles mate.

Much cheaper.

No, there was definitely a thin brown liquid that masqueraded as gravy. But no English Sunday roast contains rock hard carrots, rock hard cauliflower and those string beans much favoured by Issarn people. When you serve an English Sunday dinner you have to boil every ounce of goodness from the veggies LOL

Phil,

You surprised me a little, I've generally had reasonable fare at the Londoner, and found the service to be OK for Thailand. Certainly compared well on the latter to my last visit to London, where it is (a) hard to get served by an English person, and (B) hard to find anyone with a decent level of civility. I agree that seven staff folding napkins is irritating, but they're usually polite when you get their attention.

Must admit I've never tried the Bulls Head for lunch, so I'll put it on my list for next trip, then I'll be able to post a relevant reply........

You damned sinners like Bull's Head for Sunday afternoons ("God's Day," as BP puts it) because every time you order a beer (ALCOHOL!), you get to GAMBLE with the bartender to see who pays for it, by flipping a coin. SHAME!!!! shocked.gif" border="0

vtombrown,

Ohhhhhh after your explaination, NOW I realise what the waitress meant when she asked if I would 'like to toss the boss'...... At the time I was wondering if I had ended up in a Patpong bar by mistake!

Sorry Dapper. Your second thought was correct. Just a little Sabbath gambling, with your alcohol.

Nice thought, though. For a Farang woman, the boss ain't half bad, huh? Charismatic, substantial, all-out woman. On second thought, she probably is married to some stud business bloke who logs onto this board from time to time; and, if he is enough man to rock her, then he also is probably enough man to kick the crap out of me. So, never mind.

blush.gif" border="0

Archived