Coss in Laos - Saturday

Coss

In Laos, Vientiane to be precise, uneventful flight here.

You know how they've got a line of about twelve visa officers at the airport in Phnom Penh?

Well not here; three; and even though it was only a half hour wait, it was stifling. As large as I am, I lost at least two kilos, english backpacker tourist girls were heard to opine "it's a little close in here..." and smart arse continental types (apologies to any one who considers themselves a smart arse continental type) tried to skip the queue only to be firmly returned to the tail, by the tail.

But at least in the baggage collection area it was air conditioned, luverly.

Set rate $6 taxi to town and my guest house, did I mention the heat? Bangers and Patters is positively mild in comparison.

Many dusty roads, clogged drains with water the colour of charcoal, there was one place with a fresh coat of paint and children were grouped about in admiration and awe.

When persons whose opinion I trust say that Laos is like Thailand twenty or so years ago, I believe them.

My guest house, pleasant, multi story place, looks like two establishments next door to each other, holes knocked though walls at the appropriate junctures, a reception on one side and a restaurant on the other, rooms up above with separate stairs for each side. A Kip is one 10,000th of a US $, or to put it another way 10,000 Kip for your buck mate.

Every thing is very cheap, I know this because I went to a couple of places that looked up market and things were cheap. Gin and Tonic $1.50 at nice place, 0.80 c elsewhere.

Nok is very shy, ultra shy, keeps hiding out the back, probably thinks (correctly) that I want to shag her senseless.

I went to hire a motor cycle, and I did, had a blatt around Vientiane and discovered two things, Vientiane is very small, I have a flat tyre. So I walked the little clapped out two stroke excuse for a lawn mower back to the emporium from which it came and extracted a refund. I'd seen another, better, cleaner establishment with newer bikes and went there, aaahhh, power, gears, steering, the luxury.

Though I did see another chappie looking remarkably like myself, dripping sweat in quantities large enough to dampen down the dust behind him, pushing another tyre flattened motorcycle back to the place where I'd got me new one.

In case I forget to mention this later, Gin and Tonic at my guest house, delivered by the soothingly beautiful, yet excessively shy Nok, half a bucket of gin, and tonic as you need it.

I got Nok to teach me thank you in Laos, Kop Chai, or Kop Jai, but I think Kop Chai.

This place is very laid back, no one is in a hurry, I'm only calming down to the appropriate level with the aid of G&Ts.

Spent another hour tootling about on the moto, found most things I'd heard of, with the exception of the Chess Club, something to look for tomorrow.

I could have been at the Chess Club, as there were tables with chess boards on them, but I was assured the name was Riverside. Had deep fried shrimp and vegetables, in a light and fluffy batter, not oily, delicious but for the only accompaniment, tomato sauce (ketchup).

And then it rained, gay boy waiter had warned me when I wanted to sit outside, bugger off I said, I'll be buggered if I'm going to sit inside, I said. Then meekly I crept into the sheltered area, with gay boy waiter doing too much to help me. It rained for hours, I eventually shot for the guest house in a light period, expensive Nikon tucked up under my shirt in it's bag.

Fortunately it did not get wet, though I was very clean by the time I got there.

Back at the Riverside, before it got rained on like the rest of Vientiane, there were three ladies doing a roaring trade in that dried squid you have blasted on the coals of a small burner the lady carries around. I've eaten this before and whilst not to everyone's taste it's by no means awful. But I was curious to see this staple of the seaside in a land locked Laos, several leagues from the ocean.

Now the G&Ts are kicking in, I need nuts, so first to lure Nok from the bowls of the building, shy as she is, her eyes sparkle when she talks to me.

Me: nuts?

Nok: (sparkle)

Me: do you have nuts?

Nok: I don't know...

Me: Menu?

Nok: OK...

Me: (showing picture of SomTam) see here nit noi one, little one...

Nok: (sparkle) ahhh...

Me: name nuts?

Nok: nam

Me: ?

Nok: nan

Nok: dan

I think she said nan, any Laos speakers please correct.

There's a massage place across the street, as I write this I am watching the comings and goings. I am trying to determine if there might be carnal delights available, by observing the custom.

It is still raining, a Pepsi bottle out on the steps is now half full.

Several girls of a Laos nature have come and gone, all of whom would be most satisfactory in a clinch. I saw a European looking bloke hanging around for a while, looking a shade sheepish. Prospects are looking up.

Then his feminine partner from his home town, emerged in a self satisfied cloud of radiance, if only she was a celeb and Hollywoods cameras were there to catch the rolls of fat triumphant.

Off they toddled, and more couples came, each she-packer making a beeline, each he-packer, trailing a toe in the dust (well mud now, but you know what I mean). I look again, it says body and soul on it's sign-age, I should have been more observant.

Nok was just moving her (I think) moto, outside in the rain, she saw me watching, smile, blush, avert eyes, god she's gorgeous. Someone I should never sully I'm afraid.

Now she's gone, off on the moto, parting is such sweet sorrow. Well I guess I'll have to look at the more commercially minded darlings.

But wait!, Nok is back from her ride in the rain, now you know what that'll do to a girl in tight fitting blouse. All nipply she tries to enter the restaurant without attracting attention the her two most prominent endowments, and she fails, there is a god.

Coss, signing off from a wet Vientiane.

• 5 years later...

In Laos, Vientiane to be precise, uneventful flight here.

You know how they've got a line of about twelve visa officers at the airport in Phnom Penh?

Well not here; three; and even though it was only a half hour wait, it was stifling. As large as I am, I lost at least two kilos, english backpacker tourist girls were heard to opine "it's a little close in here..." and smart arse continental types (apologies to any one who considers themselves a smart arse continental type) tried to skip the queue only to be firmly returned to the tail, by the tail.

But at least in the baggage collection area it was air conditioned, luverly.

Set rate $6 taxi to town and my guest house, did I mention the heat? Bangers and Patters is positively mild in comparison.

Many dusty roads, clogged drains with water the colour of charcoal, there was one place with a fresh coat of paint and children were grouped about in admiration and awe.

When persons whose opinion I trust say that Laos is like Thailand twenty or so years ago, I believe them.

My guest house, pleasant, multi story place, looks like two establishments next door to each other, holes knocked though walls at the appropriate junctures, a reception on one side and a restaurant on the other, rooms up above with separate stairs for each side. A Kip is one 10,000th of a US $, or to put it another way 10,000 Kip for your buck mate.

Every thing is very cheap, I know this because I went to a couple of places that looked up market and things were cheap. Gin and Tonic $1.50 at nice place, 0.80 c elsewhere.

Nok is very shy, ultra shy, keeps hiding out the back, probably thinks (correctly) that I want to shag her senseless.

I went to hire a motor cycle, and I did, had a blatt around Vientiane and discovered two things, Vientiane is very small, I have a flat tyre. So I walked the little clapped out two stroke excuse for a lawn mower back to the emporium from which it came and extracted a refund. I'd seen another, better, cleaner establishment with newer bikes and went there, aaahhh, power, gears, steering, the luxury.

Though I did see another chappie looking remarkably like myself, dripping sweat in quantities large enough to dampen down the dust behind him, pushing another tyre flattened motorcycle back to the place where I'd got me new one.

In case I forget to mention this later, Gin and Tonic at my guest house, delivered by the soothingly beautiful, yet excessively shy Nok, half a bucket of gin, and tonic as you need it.

I got Nok to teach me thank you in Laos, Kop Chai, or Kop Jai, but I think Kop Chai.

This place is very laid back, no one is in a hurry, I'm only calming down to the appropriate level with the aid of G&Ts.

Spent another hour tootling about on the moto, found most things I'd heard of, with the exception of the Chess Club, something to look for tomorrow.

I could have been at the Chess Club, as there were tables with chess boards on them, but I was assured the name was Riverside. Had deep fried shrimp and vegetables, in a light and fluffy batter, not oily, delicious but for the only accompaniment, tomato sauce (ketchup).

And then it rained, gay boy waiter had warned me when I wanted to sit outside, bugger off I said, I'll be buggered if I'm going to sit inside, I said. Then meekly I crept into the sheltered area, with gay boy waiter doing too much to help me. It rained for hours, I eventually shot for the guest house in a light period, expensive Nikon tucked up under my shirt in it's bag.

Fortunately it did not get wet, though I was very clean by the time I got there.

Back at the Riverside, before it got rained on like the rest of Vientiane, there were three ladies doing a roaring trade in that dried squid you have blasted on the coals of a small burner the lady carries around. I've eaten this before and whilst not to everyone's taste it's by no means awful. But I was curious to see this staple of the seaside in a land locked Laos, several leagues from the ocean.

Now the G&Ts are kicking in, I need nuts, so first to lure Nok from the bowls of the building, shy as she is, her eyes sparkle when she talks to me.

Me: nuts?

Nok: (sparkle)

Me: do you have nuts?

Nok: I don't know...

Me: Menu?

Nok: OK...

Me: (showing picture of SomTam) see here nit noi one, little one...

Nok: (sparkle) ahhh...

Me: name nuts?

Nok: nam

Nok: nan

Nok: dan

I think she said nan, any Laos speakers please correct.

There's a massage place across the street, as I write this I am watching the comings and goings. I am trying to determine if there might be carnal delights available, by observing the custom.

It is still raining, a Pepsi bottle out on the steps is now half full.

Several girls of a Laos nature have come and gone, all of whom would be most satisfactory in a clinch. I saw a European looking bloke hanging around for a while, looking a shade sheepish. Prospects are looking up.

Then his feminine partner from his home town, emerged in a self satisfied cloud of radiance, if only she was a celeb and Hollywoods cameras were there to catch the rolls of fat triumphant.

Off they toddled, and more couples came, each she-packer making a beeline, each he-packer, trailing a toe in the dust (well mud now, but you know what I mean). I look again, it says body and soul on it's sign-age, I should have been more observant.

Nok was just moving her (I think) moto, outside in the rain, she saw me watching, smile, blush, avert eyes, god she's gorgeous. Someone I should never sully I'm afraid.

Now she's gone, off on the moto, parting is such sweet sorrow. Well I guess I'll have to look at the more commercially minded darlings.

But wait!, Nok is back from her ride in the rain, now you know what that'll do to a girl in tight fitting blouse. All nipply she tries to enter the restaurant without attracting attention the her two most prominent endowments, and she fails, there is a god.

Coss, signing off from a wet Vientiane.

After posting a few historic pictures of mine in a TR yesterday, I ended up in the archives, to find a bit of an old post. In the process, I started looking at more old posts, and came across this one, from someone I've beeen following recently. He's talking about some girl called Nok, but I've forgotten the excact context of the long story, and am wondering if this is actually a very early story about the same person we've been recently reading about.

Can anyone (maybe the OP), enlighten me? Don't need to name any other names, just a yes or no will do.

Charming story. And I remember the hotel in the little street, I used to frequent that same massage place, and no, they just do massage.

I think I actually had a beer or three with the OP on that very same visit.

Coss.

i presume the Nok you are talking about works at the hotel?.

i have a regular lady who shaves me/washes and cuts my hair with a little massage thrown in.

a good friend over the years and yes,i would like to see more of her.

in her 40's but very attractive and no man in her life as far as i can ascertain.

but i just want to suggest anything because i like her as a friend and don't want to ruin that.

most days i buy her a drink and a little food and she is a great person.

the rain.....

thankfully now i have learned what the Thais think.

they usually know when it will rain and remark on the fact and so easy to relocate myself undercover.

and 2 things normally warn me of rain.

the wind gets up and gets quite strong and the people hurry to get anything of theirs in the open undercover quickly.

After posting a few historic pictures of mine in a TR yesterday, I ended up in the archives, to find a bit of an old post. In the process, I started looking at more old posts, and came across this one, from someone I've beeen following recently. He's talking about some girl called Nok, but I've forgotten the excact context of the long story, and am wondering if this is actually a very early story about the same person we've been recently reading about.

Can anyone (maybe the OP), enlighten me? Don't need to name any other names, just a yes or no will do.

Charming story. And I remember the hotel in the little street, I used to frequent that same massage place, and no, they just do massage.

I think I actually had a beer or three with the OP on that very same visit.

Yes to Nok (not her real name), one of the things she now remembers is the exchange over peanuts. And - "Someone I should never sully I'm afraid" - I've happily eaten my words...

Yes, we beered and it was your good auspices that led to my continuing interest in things Lao.

Yes to Nok (not her real name), one of the things she now remembers is the exchange over peanuts. And - "Someone I should never sully I'm afraid" - I've happily eaten my words...

Yes, we beered and it was your good auspices that led to my continuing interest in things Lao.

2006 or not, it's a great read!

Archived