Edumacating the new guys

asiafun

So I am sitting back in my office and the staff brings in one of the new kids. He is surprisingly confident, as if he has been in Asia all of his life and not a trace of culture shock.

He is young, about 25 and has already been told Thailand is the place to be by the younger staff members.

They ask me if I can give him a quick rundown on the high points of Thailand as I am apparently touted as the company expert despite my rather shallow knowledge of the kingdom.

So I ponder where I should start...Will it be the nightlife first, the female companionship, sudsies, tourist areas, cultural issues...or do I just avoid a specific topic all together and refer them to Thai360 and/or stickmans?

What do ya'll do?

It has a nice library system , The church picnics are well attended , People are polite and stop for you when you cross the street , the food is rather bland , but if you put loads of sause on it , then its alright , 99% of those freindly ladies are guys ,

I think that will make him want to go to the Taipai office

OC

>They ask me if I can give him a quick rundown on the high points of Thailand as I am apparently touted as the company expert

Until you suss the guy out, keep it VERY professional. Not everyone is a "whorehound", and a wrong reading of the guy cold blow your professional rep right out of the water.

Give him a "low down" on taxis, eating places, where to shop, tipping protocols, and any other boring crap you can think of. *If* he asks about bars etc, give him the bulls head, Londoner, Irish pubs etc. Anything else you may have "heard of" but are not too familiar with them - when you *know* the guy, its time to give him the "part 2" talk...

-j-

Good answers from all especially the ass rape part! :grinyes:

I will typically start out with a cultural slant, Wats, History, societal mores and beliefs, royal family, politics etc until I see they are bored to death. I am concerned that one day I will get some plant from somewhere with an agenda.

We then wait until one of the young and trusted staff members has seen him in a willing socially compromising position before he is handed the proverbial keys.

Archived