western groceries

Ok, Thai food in Bangkok is fantastic and I enjoy it every day. For those rare occasions I want to prepare something just like back home, is there a grocery store with a good selection of western stuff? If so, where? I am sure something like a Trader Joe's is way out of the question...

I always get a laff out of the small shopping carts when I am back in BKK. I feel like I have part of my grandaughters barbie toys.

thanks for the tip "Villa supermarket" I plan to check it out,

Have you every found tortillas in Bkk?

thanks for the info on the tortillas, now I won't have to "smuggle" in any next time.

also, about customer service in thai stores

ever try to bring back something that does not work ( appliance) or food that was spoiled

( find out once you get home)

after a few trys in both instances, I don't bother any more.

also, some time ago I took some thai "friends" I was working with out for mexican food.

( I wanted to treat them to something different/special)

( mexican restraunt near ITF building, about 8 years ago)

they never had tried mexican food b4 ( or seen it I think)

They looked horrified when the plates were put in front of them with re-fried beans along side the tacos & enchaladas.

( after seeing some of the lao food offered on the street I did not think anything would phase them)

2 of the ladies actually made gaging sounds as I dipped a chip in the beans and ate some.

they guys manages to make it through the meal, ( but seemed to avoid the beans)

after a while ( a few days they said they wanted to take me out for some "different/special"

I was really worried what they had planned, but the only questionable thing I got was some meat that looked like beef jerky, and was very stringy ( arf, arf? maybe)

Probably too far for you but I use Tesco at Onnut en route to work. Big store. They take your bag off you as a bomb-prevention measure and then have 2 security gyus working folding leaflets !!!

quote:

Originally posted by The Hamburger:

Sorry to dissapoint.

But the reason they take the bags away is to stop people stealing.

The Hamburger

Actually it is the bomb threat. Lotus has had 2 bombs go off, supposdly set by previous security company not happy with contract being terminated.

Archived